How did you learn "simple" physics?

• Thread starter dRic2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses the fascination with "simple" physics and its relevance in daily life, particularly in the first years of university/college. The speaker admits to getting stuck with questions and doubts, but finds it rewarding to solve them. They also question if others have had similar experiences. A humorous example of the difference between theoretical and real-life physics is mentioned.
dRic2
Gold Member
Hi, I'm still a student but there is something that has always captured my interest: "simple" physics. For "simple" physics I don't necessary mean easy physics, but rather some concepts and applications (more or less complex) that we encounter in day by day life. Basically that part of physics (as "introductions" to classical mechanics, thermodynamics and simple electromagnetism) that is thought during the first years of university/college. My professors assume those things for granted (and they are!), but often, looking at questions in this and other forums, I get stuck with some intriguing problems and lots of doubts arise. I'm generally happy about that because doubts make you expert once solved, but I was wondering: is it just me? Was I a negligent student? Or some of you share/shared this situation?

Ric

Ps: I also find ironic the fact that I keep studying more advanced stuff, but I still like to think about things like why water will "disappear" from my glass if I leave it open :confused::confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
I often feel the same as you do

Things that are easy on the first sight quite often get complicated when we get to the real life situation. Spherical cow may nicely bounce off the wall, real cow will not :wink:

Likes DennisN and dRic2
Borek said:
Spherical cow may nicely bounce off the wall...

I don't know why but I had fun time trying to imagine that ahahah

Borek said:
Spherical cow may nicely bounce off the wall, real cow will not :wink:
dRic2 said:
I don't know why but I had fun time trying to imagine that ahahah
It's how old school milkshakes were made. Man, they were good!

1. How did you become interested in learning "simple" physics?

I have always been fascinated by how the world works and wanted to understand the basic principles behind natural phenomena. As I delved deeper into my scientific studies, I realized that physics is the foundation of all science and it was essential for me to learn the fundamentals of this subject.

2. What resources did you use to learn "simple" physics?

I used a variety of resources, including textbooks, online lectures, and hands-on experiments. I also sought guidance from experienced physicists and participated in study groups to reinforce my understanding of the concepts.

3. How did you approach learning "simple" physics?

I approached learning "simple" physics by breaking down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable parts. I also made use of visual aids and real-life examples to help me understand the principles better. Additionally, I asked questions and actively engaged in discussions to solidify my understanding.

4. What challenges did you face while learning "simple" physics?

One of the biggest challenges I faced was understanding abstract concepts and applying them to real-world scenarios. I also had to overcome my fear of math and learn how to use equations and formulas to solve problems.

5. How has learning "simple" physics impacted your life?

Learning "simple" physics has helped me develop critical thinking skills and a deeper understanding of the world around me. It has also opened up opportunities for me to pursue a career in a scientific field and make a positive contribution to society.