How do I change a really high light bulb?

In summary, the person's guys helped them out with a bulb problem and they went with a suction cup and extension pole the first time and it worked.
Office_Shredder
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
I have a really high bulb I don't know how to change
Your guys really helped me out with my last bulb problem so I thought I'd try again. There's a bulb over a staircase that is
- a recessed floodlight
- about 18 feet above the stairs directly beneath it (it's over the bottom of the stairs, and the staircase is exposed to the next floor)
About 3 feet horizontally from a floor that's only eight feet below it

I think since it's recessed, I can't use one of those claw bulb changers. Since I can't actually reach the bulb I don't think I can use a suction cup on a pole either? Someone could stand on a stepladder and reach out over the gap to try to release it but that seems exceedingly dangerous to me.

There's no space to just put up a ladder and go up there even.

Any ideas are welcome. I attached some pictures of the staircase, hopefully it's enough to make the situation clear.

I'll make sure the next bulb that goes in there lasts twenty years...

Attachments

• PXL_20210519_233119003.jpg
    PXL_20210519_233119003.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 164
  • PXL_20210519_233041716.jpg
    PXL_20210519_233041716.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 143
  • PXL_20210519_233020335.jpg
    PXL_20210519_233020335.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 143
  • PXL_20210519_232948892.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210519_232948892.MP.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 146
Physics news on Phys.org
While a lot of folks don't have access to the tools I do, I would try an extension ladder from the stairs below. If you can find a device that grips that bulb, try to mount it on the end of a pole and with two people you should be able to get it. One person below and another standing at the railing to help guide.

If I understand the geometry, an extension ladder at a slightly "shallow" pitch up to the crown molding (and braced against an opposing stair) should put you just about where you need to be. Somebody at the rail could provide moral support and hand stuff over as needed. Might mar the wall a bit. Clean (unpowdered) latex gloves give grip.
A good LED bulb should outlive us all...

Replace it the same way it was installed -- go through the attic. :smile:

• Informative
Likes Jodo, BillTre, hmmm27 and 1 other person
I went with the suction cup and extension pole. I didn't actually need a long pole, because I could reach over the bannister to do everything. Somehow the first time I looked at one of them, it didn't register in my mind that they had a little string thing to release the suction cup (or perhaps the one I was looking at didn't).

Thanks everyone! This covers almost every bulb in my house now, so at most there will be one more thread in this series 😄

Likes hutchphd

1. How do I safely reach a really high light bulb?

There are a few options for safely reaching a high light bulb. You can use a ladder or scaffold, but make sure it is stable and secure before climbing. Alternatively, you can use a long-handled bulb changer tool specifically designed for high ceilings.

2. What type of bulb should I use for a really high light fixture?

It is important to use the correct type of bulb for a high light fixture. Look for bulbs with a longer lifespan, such as LED or CFL bulbs, as they will be more durable and require less frequent changing. Also, make sure the wattage is appropriate for your fixture.

3. How do I remove and replace the old bulb?

First, make sure the power is turned off to the fixture. Then, carefully unscrew the old bulb and dispose of it properly. To replace it, screw in the new bulb, making sure it is securely in place. If using a bulb changer tool, follow the instructions provided.

4. How often should I change a really high light bulb?

The frequency of changing a high light bulb depends on the type of bulb and its usage. LED bulbs can last up to 25,000 hours, while CFL bulbs last around 10,000 hours. However, it is recommended to check and replace bulbs as needed to ensure proper lighting and safety.

5. What should I do if the light fixture is too high for me to reach?

If the light fixture is too high for you to safely reach, it is best to hire a professional electrician. They have the proper equipment and training to safely change high light bulbs. It is not worth risking injury or damage to the fixture by attempting to reach it yourself.