How do I normalize a state vector with numbers in it?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of normalizing a state vector with complex coefficients, represented by the equation |\psi\rangle=\sum_k c_k|e_k\rangle. The normalization condition is expressed as \sum_k |c_k|^2=1, and the magnitude of the state vector is found to be 5. The conversation concludes by questioning how to proceed with normalization.
dingo_d

Homework Statement

I have a state vector:

[tex]|\psi\rangle=3|+\rangle+4|-\rangle[/tex]

And I should normalize it. + and - are states. And I'm confused. How to normalize this if I have numbers here.

Since we can write the vector state:

[tex]|\psi\rangle=\sum_k c_k|e_k\rangle[/tex] where [tex]|e_k\rangle[/tex] are basis and [tex]c_k[/tex] are complex coefficients in expansion. And then the normalization condition is:

[tex]\sum_k |c_k|^2=1[/tex]

But I have numbers here? Should I try and multiplying [tex]|\psi\rangle[/tex] with [tex]\langle\psi |[/tex]? And is [tex]\langle\psi |[/tex] then:

[tex]\langle\psi |=3\langle +| +4\langle -|[/tex] (I dk, but this feels wrong :\)?

Physics news on Phys.org
well if you take the magnitude of this state vector

[tex]\sqrt{\langle\psi |\psi\rangle}=\sqrt{16+9}=5[/tex]

so the length of the vector is 5. so how do you normalize now ? can you do it ?

Related to How do I normalize a state vector with numbers in it?

What is the purpose of normalizing a state vector?

The purpose of normalizing a state vector is to transform it into a unit vector, which has a magnitude of 1. This allows for easier comparison and calculation of the vector's components.

How is a state vector normalized?

A state vector is normalized by dividing each component by the magnitude of the vector. This results in all components being scaled down proportionally, while maintaining the same direction.

Why is it important to normalize a state vector?

Normalizing a state vector is important because it simplifies calculations and comparisons between vectors. It also ensures that the vector has a consistent magnitude, regardless of its initial values.

What are the benefits of normalizing a state vector?

The benefits of normalizing a state vector include easier comparison of vectors, simplification of calculations, and the ability to maintain a consistent magnitude. It also helps to avoid potential errors in calculations due to varying vector magnitudes.

Can a state vector be normalized to a magnitude other than 1?

Yes, a state vector can be normalized to a magnitude other than 1. This is called scaling the vector and can be useful in certain situations where a specific magnitude is desired.