How do I rotate a linear function around the z-axis?

In summary, the conversation discusses converting a function from one coordinate system (x', y') to another (x, y) that differs by a rotation around the z-axis. The goal is to express the function as a linear function, and the gradient is found to be 1/\tan(\alpha). It is then determined that the shift in x is C/\cos(\alpha), and there is a discussion about whether the function is constant in the (x', y') coordinate system. The conversation also mentions using a rotation matrix to rotate the coordinate system by the angle \alpha.
Niles

Homework Statement

I have two coordinate system [itex](x, y)[/itex], [itex](x', y')[/itex] that differ by a rotation around the [itex]z[/itex]-axis by an angle [itex]\alpha[/itex]. In the coordinate system [itex](x', y')[/itex] I have a function [itex]f(x', y') = C[/itex], where [itex]C[/itex] is a constant.

I would like to express [itex]f[/itex] in the coordinate system [itex](x,y)[/itex], where it is a linear function [itex]x\nabla +y_0[/itex]. The gradient [itex]\nabla[/itex] of this function is [itex]1/\tan(\alpha)[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to find the shift in [itex]x[/itex] now. I get that this is [itex]C/\cos(\alpha)[/itex]. Is there a way for me to test that this function indeed is constant in the coordinate system [itex](x', y')[/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a picture of f(x',y') = C in your x'-y' coordinate system. Now imagine that this coordinate system is rotated about the origin by an angle alpha. What happens to the line f(x',y') = C? Don't you need more than one parameter to express this line in the (x,y) system?

Rotation about the z-axis through an angle [itex]\alpha[/itex] is given by the matrix
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}cos(\alpha) & -sin(\alpha) & 0 \\ sin(\alpha) & cos(\alpha) & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Related to How do I rotate a linear function around the z-axis?

What is a linear function?

A linear function is a mathematical function that can be represented by a straight line on a graph. It has the form y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept.

How can a linear function be rotated?

A linear function can be rotated by changing the values of its slope and y-intercept. This can be done by multiplying the slope by a constant factor and adding or subtracting a constant from the y-intercept. Graphically, this will result in the line being rotated around the origin.

What is the purpose of rotating a linear function?

Rotating a linear function can be useful when trying to model real-world situations, as it allows for different perspectives and interpretations of the data. It can also help in finding the best fit for a set of data points.

What is the difference between rotating and translating a linear function?

Rotating a linear function involves changing the slope and y-intercept, while translating involves only changing the y-intercept. This results in a shift of the entire graph along the x-axis, but does not change the slope of the line.

How do I determine the new slope and y-intercept after rotating a linear function?

The new slope and y-intercept can be determined by using the rotation formula. This involves multiplying the original slope by a cosine or sine value, depending on the angle of rotation, and adding or subtracting a constant from the original y-intercept.