How Do I Solve for i2 Using KVL and KCL in Circuit Analysis?

• Thread starter VinnyCee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuits
In summary, this conversation is about solving a circuit problem using KVL and KCL equations. The problem involves finding the values of three unknown currents using three equations. The first two equations are rewritten using Ohm's law, and then substituted into the third equation. This produces an equation with only one unknown, which can be solved for. The expert also mentions other methods for solving simultaneous equations and offers some tips for mastering these techniques.
VinnyCee
CIRCUITS: Super easy problem. Please help!

Find i1, i2 and i3:

Chapter2PracticeProblem.jpg

My work so far:

KVL for left loop => [tex]5\,-\,v_1\,-\,v_2\,=\,0[/tex]

KVL for right loop => [tex]v_2\,-\,v_3\,+\,3\,=\,0[/tex]

KCL at center node => [tex]i_1\,=\,i_2\,+\,i_3[/tex]

Now I plug the KVL's into the KCL equation and I get: [tex]\frac{5}{4}\,i_1\,=\,2\,i_2\,+\,\frac{11}{8}\,V[/tex]

But how do I get the value of [itex]i_2[/itex]?

I know this is a really stupid question, but can someone help me please?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can rewrite your first two equations using ohm's law. For the first one :

[tex]5 - 2i_1 - 8i_2 = 0[/tex]

Express the v's in ur KVL and KVR in terms of its resistance and current. Use the relationship in KCR to help re express ur KVL for both loop and then hopefully u can solve for ur current.

Yup that is how I got the last equation.

KVL for loop one => [tex]5\,-\,2\,i_1\,-\,8\,i_2[/tex]

this turns into => [tex]i_2\,=\,\frac{5}{8}\,-\,\frac{1}{4}\,i_1[/tex]

KVL for loop two => [tex]8\,i_2\,-\,4\,i_3\,+\,3\,=\,0[/tex]

this turns into => [tex]i_3\,=\,2\,i_2\,=\,\frac{3}{4}[/tex]

Now I substitute these into the KCL expression => [tex]i_1\,=\,i_2\,+\,i_3[/tex]

Which produces => [tex]i_1\,=\,\frac{8}{5}i_2\,+\,\frac{11}{10}[/tex]

But now I have no idea how to get [itex]i_2[/itex]! Please help, this is supposed to be the easiest problem to do in the whole book.

Last edited:
VinnyCee said:
Yup that is how I got the last equation.

KVL for loop one => [tex]5\,-\,2\,i_1\,-\,8\,i_2[/tex]

this turns into => [tex]i_2\,=\,\frac{5}{8}\,-\,\frac{1}{4}\,i_1[/tex]

KVL for loop two => [tex]8\,i_2\,-\,4\,i_3\,+\,3\,=\,0[/tex]

this turns into => [tex]i_3\,=\,2\,i_2\,=\,\frac{3}{4}[/tex]

Now I substitute these into the KCL expression => [tex]i_1\,=\,i_2\,+\,i_3[/tex]

Which produces => [tex]i_1\,=\,\frac{8}{5}i_2\,+\,\frac{11}{10}[/tex]

But now I have no idea how to get [itex]i_2[/itex]! Please help, this is supposed to be the easiest problem to do in the whole book.
Substitute the last equation for i1 into the first KVL equation to get an equation with only i2. This is a typical linear equation problem with 3 equations for 3 unknowns

[tex]i_1\,=\,5\,-\,2\,\left(\frac{8}{5}\,i_2\,+\,\frac{11}{10}\right)\,-\,8\,i_2[/tex]

[tex]5\,-\,\frac{16}{5}\,i_2\,-\,\frac{22}{10}\,-\,8\,i_2\,=\,0[/tex]

[tex]-112\,i_2\,=\,-28[/tex]

[tex]i_2\,=\,\frac{28}{112}\,=\,0.25\,A[/tex]

That is right! Thank you much, but now I want to know how you knew to do that substitution, otherwise I will just have the same problem on the next exapmle, etc.

VinnyCee said:
[tex]i_1\,=\,5\,-\,2\,\left(\frac{8}{5}\,i_2\,+\,\frac{11}{10}\right)\,-\,8\,i_2[/tex]

[tex]5\,-\,\frac{16}{5}\,i_2\,-\,\frac{22}{10}\,-\,8\,i_2\,=\,0[/tex]

[tex]-112\,i_2\,=\,-28[/tex]

[tex]i_2\,=\,\frac{28}{112}\,=\,0.25\,A[/tex]

That is right! Thank you much, but now I want to know how you knew to do that substitution, otherwise I will just have the same problem on the next exapmle, etc.
There are various well known methods for solving simultaneous equations. Substitution is not bad when you have original equations with few unknowns. In this case, it was easy to recognize that you had two different equations with the same two unknowns. If all three equations had all three unknowns, you would want to use an elimination approach.

For three equations and three unknowns, the idea is to take one pair of equations and multiply or divide one or both to get the same coefficient in front of one of the unknowns. Then subtract one equation from the other to eliminate that unknown. (Or you could multiply or divide to get opposite sign coefficints for one unknown and then add.) Repeat this procedure with a different pair of equations to eliminate the same unknown as with the first pair. You will then have two equations with only two unknowns. You can solve those by a second elimination, or by substitution. Then work backwards using known values to solve for the others.
It takes some practice to master these techniques. A good Algebra II book should help you.

Last edited:
I think my problem is knowing which equations are independant and which are just another one stated in a different way.

The other problem I have is knowing where to apply what rule (KCL, KVL).

I guess it will just take practice, like everything else!

Related to How Do I Solve for i2 Using KVL and KCL in Circuit Analysis?

1. What is a circuit?

A circuit is a closed loop or path through which electricity can flow. It is made up of various components such as wires, resistors, capacitors, and other electronic devices.

2. How do circuits work?

Circuits work by allowing electricity to flow from a power source, such as a battery, through various components that control the flow of electricity and perform specific functions, and then back to the power source.

3. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, all of the components are connected in a single loop, meaning the current flows through each component in order. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in separate branches, allowing for different paths for the current to flow.

4. How do I calculate voltage, current, and resistance in a circuit?

Ohm's Law is used to calculate these values in a circuit. Voltage is equal to current multiplied by resistance (V=IR). Current is equal to voltage divided by resistance (I=V/R). And resistance is equal to voltage divided by current (R=V/I).

5. What are some common circuit problems and how do I troubleshoot them?

Some common circuit problems include open circuits (when there is a break in the circuit preventing electricity from flowing), short circuits (when there is an unintended connection between two points in the circuit), and faulty components. To troubleshoot these issues, you can use a multimeter to test for continuity, check for loose connections, and replace any faulty components.