How do I solve nodal analysis with a 2Ix voltage source at the red node?

In summary, to find the voltage at the node with the red dot using nodal analysis, you should first find Ix in terms of the node voltage. Then, treat the part to the right of the node as a supernode and use the equation (10 - V)/3Ω = ((V+ 2*Ix) - 0)/6Ω to solve for Ix. Finally, the voltage at the red node can be found by subtracting this current from the 10V source voltage.
influx
nodalvxv.png

How do I find the voltage at the node with the red dot using nodal analysis? The 2Ix voltage source to the left of the node with the red dot makes it confusing for me...

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
First, I think you should find Ix in terms of the voltage at the red dot. Once you have Ix in terms of the node voltage, then you can use nodal analysis to find its value

Do you have to use nodal that's sort of odd. Since the terminals are open, no current flows through the 5 ohm resistor and this is a simple series circuit

FOIWATER said:
Do you have to use nodal that's sort of odd. Since the terminals are open, no current flows through the 5 ohm resistor and this is a simple series circuit

Well my book uses mesh analysis. I was just wondering whether it is possible to use nodal analysis?

Maylis said:
First, I think you should find Ix in terms of the voltage at the red dot. Once you have Ix in terms of the node voltage, then you can use nodal analysis to find its value

The voltage at the red dot is 2Ix no?

influx said:
The voltage at the red dot is 2Ix no?
No. That's the voltage of just one of the sources in a branch between Red Point and ground.

If you consider the other (shorter) branch between Red Point and ground, what is that branch voltage?

NascentOxygen said:
No. That's the voltage of just one of the sources in a branch between Red Point and ground.

If you consider the other (shorter) branch between Red Point and ground, what is that branch voltage?

Is this correct?

nodalvfv.png

Yes, you got that part right.

Jony130 said:
Yes, you got that part right.

Ok, so how would I apply nodal analysis now? I mean I can get (v-10)/3 but that's as far as I can get. I don't know how to treat the part to the right of node V.

Treat it as one big node a supernode.

Whats comes in must come out.
(10 - V)/3Ω = ((V+ 2*Ix) - 0)/6Ω
And
Ix = (10 - V)/3Ω

Last edited by a moderator:
Jony130 said:
Treat it as one big node a supernode.

Whats comes in must come out.
(10 - V)/3Ω = ((V+ 2*Ix) - 0)/6Ω
And
Ix = (10 - V)/3Ω

The part in bold is the voltage that comes out of the red node rather than the blue node?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
influx said:
The part in bold is the voltage that comes out of the red node rather than the blue node?

Thanks
The part in the bold is a current that comes out of the red node. Or the current that leaves the positive terminal of a CCVS.

Related to How do I solve nodal analysis with a 2Ix voltage source at the red node?

1. What is nodal analysis and why is it used?

Nodal analysis is a method used in circuit analysis to determine the voltage and current at different nodes in a circuit. It is used to simplify complex circuits and make it easier to analyze and solve problems.

2. How do you apply nodal analysis to a circuit?

To apply nodal analysis, you first identify all the nodes in the circuit and assign a variable to each node. Then, you write out Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) equations for each node, setting the sum of currents entering and exiting the node equal to zero. Finally, you solve the resulting system of equations to find the unknown voltages and currents.

3. What are some advantages of using nodal analysis?

Nodal analysis allows for a systematic and organized approach to solving circuit problems. It is also very flexible and can be applied to any type of circuit, including those with multiple voltage sources and complex topologies. Additionally, it can easily handle circuits with dependent sources and is often more efficient than other methods of analysis.

4. Are there any limitations to nodal analysis?

While nodal analysis is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It can only be used for circuits that can be described by linear equations, and it cannot handle circuits with non-linear elements such as diodes or transistors. Additionally, it may not be the best method for solving circuits with a large number of nodes.

5. How can I check my answers when using nodal analysis?

One way to check your answers when using nodal analysis is to use Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) to ensure that the sum of voltages around each closed loop in the circuit is equal to zero. You can also use simulation software or build the circuit and measure the voltages and currents directly to compare to your calculated values.