How Do You Calculate Amplitude and Wave Velocity from a Wave Equation?

• Thread starter chomsky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Waves
In summary, the problem given by the professor involves finding the amplitude of particle velocity and wave-velocity for a plane mechanical wave represented by the equation y = 30 sin(30\pi t + 0.03 \pi x). The units of measurement for y, x, and t are cm, metres, and seconds respectively. While the method for finding wave-velocity may be known, the method for finding the amplitude of particle velocity is not clear. The question also asks for clarification on which particles are being referred to and what actually moves when the wave passes a location.
chomsky

Homework Statement

My professor has given us a pset with this problem:

A plane mechanical wave is represented by the equation [itex]y = 30 sin(30\pi t + 0.03 \pi x)[/itex]
Where [itex]y[/itex] is measured in cm, [itex]x[/itex] is measured in metres and time [itex](t)[/itex] is measured in seconds. Find
(i)amplitude of particle velocity
(ii)wave-velocity

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

While I know how to find (ii), I don't know how to find out (i). Can somebody please tell me ?

Physics news on Phys.org
chomsky said:

Homework Statement

My professor has given us a pset with this problem:

A plane mechanical wave is represented by the equation [itex]y = 30 sin(30\pi t + 0.03 \pi x)[/itex]
Where [itex]y[/itex] is measured in cm, [itex]x[/itex] is measured in metres and time [itex](t)[/itex] is measured in seconds. Find
(i)amplitude of particle velocity
(ii)wave-velocity

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

While I know how to find (ii), I don't know how to find out (i). Can somebody please tell me ?
What are the particles to which the question is referring? What actually moves when the wave passes a location?

Related to How Do You Calculate Amplitude and Wave Velocity from a Wave Equation?

What are waves?

Waves are a disturbance that travels through a medium, carrying energy from one place to another without the transfer of matter.

What are the types of waves?

The two main types of waves are mechanical waves, which require a medium to travel through, and electromagnetic waves, which can travel through a vacuum.

How are waves described?

Waves can be described by their wavelength, frequency, amplitude, and speed. Wavelength is the distance between two consecutive points on a wave with the same phase. Frequency is the number of waves that pass a point in a given time. Amplitude is the maximum displacement of a wave from its equilibrium position. Speed is the rate at which the wave travels through the medium.

How do waves interact with each other?

When two or more waves meet, they can combine to form a new wave. This is known as interference. If the waves have the same frequency and are in phase, they will constructively interfere and create a larger wave. If they have opposite phases, they will destructively interfere and cancel each other out.

How are waves used in everyday life?

Waves have many practical applications, including communication (radio waves), cooking (microwaves), and medical imaging (ultrasound). They are also essential for understanding and predicting weather patterns, ocean currents, and seismic activity.