How Do You Calculate Light Refraction Angles Through Quartz?

In summary, the conversation involves finding the angles of incidence and refraction of a ray of light passing through a 2.00 cm thick block of fused quartz with a refractive index of 1.458. The conversation also includes using Snell's Law and encountering an error on a TI-89 calculator. The question of whether the calculator is in degree mode is also addressed.
myersb05
(SOLVED) Calculator Entry ErrorAngles of Reflection of Light

A ray of light strikes a flat 2.00 cm thick block of fused quartz (n = 1.458) at an angle of θ = 27.0° with the normal (Fig. P22.18). Trace the light beam through the fused quartz and find the angles of incidence and refraction at each surface.

Snell's Law=n1sintheta1=n2sintheta2

Since the ray of light began in air, I used 1*sin(27)=1.458*sin(x) and solved but my TI-89 gave me 360*@n6+.449605 which makes no sense to me. Could I get some guidance please?
I have to find the angles as it enters and leaves the quartz

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
is your calculator in degree mode?

I would first double check the calculations and make sure all units are consistent. It is possible that the calculator entry error was caused by using different units for the angles (degrees vs. radians) or by not converting the thickness of the quartz block to the same units as the wavelength of light.

If the calculations are correct, then the result from the calculator may be in radians and can be converted to degrees by multiplying by 180/π. So the angle of refraction at the first surface would be approximately 24.6° and the angle of incidence at the second surface would be approximately 27.4°.

It is also important to note that the angles of incidence and refraction are measured with respect to the normal, so the incident angle of 27.0° is already the angle between the incident ray and the normal. Therefore, the angle of incidence at the first surface would be 27.0° and the angle of refraction at the second surface would be 24.6°.

In general, it is always a good idea to double check calculations and make sure all units are consistent to avoid entry errors and ensure accurate results.

Related to How Do You Calculate Light Refraction Angles Through Quartz?

What are angles of reflection?

Angles of reflection refer to the angle at which light is reflected off of a surface. It is measured from the normal, or perpendicular line, of the surface to the direction of the reflected light.

What is the law of reflection?

The law of reflection states that the angle of incidence, or the angle at which light hits a surface, is equal to the angle of reflection, or the angle at which it is reflected.

How do angles of reflection affect the appearance of objects?

Angles of reflection determine the direction in which light is reflected off of an object. This can affect how the object appears to the viewer, as well as the intensity and color of the reflected light.

What factors affect the angles of reflection?

The angles of reflection can be affected by the angle of incidence, the properties of the surface the light is reflecting off of, and the properties of the light itself (such as wavelength and intensity).

How are angles of reflection used in everyday life?

Angles of reflection are used in various applications, such as mirrors, lenses, and other optical devices. They are also important in understanding how light interacts with different surfaces and materials, which has practical applications in fields such as photography and architecture.