How Do You Calculate the Error on Variables in an Equation?

• Thread starter Exulus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Errors
In summary, the function calculates the error in concentration of an electron over a temperature difference. The constants in the equation are not affected by the error, and it is always positive. The error is calculated by differentiateing the function with respect to the temperature difference and the concentration difference.
Exulus
Hi guys..i always seem to forget how to calculate errors and end up confusing myself in a giant mess...so any help much appreciated.

I have 24.98 +/- 1.05 = e/(nkT)

And i need to work out n, i know all the other numbers (which are constants and have no errors). So firstly how do i calculate the error on n if all of the others are constant, and secondly how would i calculate the error on n if T also had an error? Cheers :)

Physics news on Phys.org
1.St question:do u know calculus??Your function mai be written (via logaritmation)
[tex] nkT=\ln(24.98\pm1.05) [/tex]

Express "n" and "[itex] \Delta n [/itex]" in terms "T" and "[itex] \Delta T[/itex]" respectively.

Daniel.

oops, sorry, i didnt explain the equation clearly enough. "e" in this case doesn't stand for exponential, its the charge of an electron (k is the Boltzmann constant and T is temperature).

AAAA...That changes thing a little bit,not too much.You didn't answer to my question,though...Do u know calculus??
Then the function would be:
[tex] n=\frac{e}{(24.98 \pm 1.05) k} \frac{1}{T} [/tex]

Can u differentiate a function??

Daniel.

Last edited:
Hi,

Yeah i can differentiate..but what bit would i need to differentiate and why?

Has this thread been forgotton about? :( Sorry i just don't even know where to start with errors when it gets more complicated than adding/subtracting...

Do you want me to differentiate every letter? Would that require using the product rule twice? Am i going in completely the wrong direction with this? Why do you need to differentiate to find errors? Thanks for any help so far :)

Because that's the theory of errors...Involves partial (in this case one variable,namely T) differentiation.

[tex] \Delta n=|\frac{dn(T)}{dT}|\Delta T [/tex]

,where [itex] \Delta T [/itex] is the error in temperature,and the corresponding [itex] \Delta n [/itex] is the error in concentration...

Daniel.

So if I've understood you correctly:

[tex]\Delta n={-T}^{-2}\Delta T[/tex]

? :)

U didn't.

1.What happened to the constants?
2.The minus does not exist.It's "erased" by the modulus/absolute value.There's never minus in error theory...All errors must add...

Daniel.

Whoops! Lemme try again...

[tex]\Delta n=\frac{e}{(24.98 \pm 1.05) k}\ {T}^{-2}\Delta T[/tex]

Is that right? Cheers for the patience :biggrin:

It looks okay,though that [itex] \pm [/itex] in the denominator looks kinda weird...

Daniel.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Error on Variables in an Equation?

1. What is the purpose of calculating errors in scientific research?

Calculating errors is important in scientific research because it allows us to determine the accuracy and reliability of our data and results. It helps us to identify and address any potential sources of error in our experiments, ensuring the validity of our findings.

2. How do I calculate the error in my measurements?

To calculate the error in your measurements, you need to determine the difference between your measured value and the true or expected value. This difference is known as the error or deviation. You can then express this error as a percentage or absolute value, depending on your specific needs.

3. What are the types of errors that can affect my measurements?

There are three main types of errors that can affect measurements: systematic errors, random errors, and human errors. Systematic errors are consistent and can be corrected by calibrating instruments or adjusting experimental procedures. Random errors are unpredictable and can be reduced by taking multiple measurements. Human errors are caused by mistakes or limitations in the experimenter and can be minimized through careful experimental design and execution.

4. How can I minimize errors in my experiments?

To minimize errors in your experiments, it is important to have a well-designed and well-controlled procedure. This includes using calibrated instruments, taking multiple measurements, and having a clear and replicable experimental protocol. It is also important to be aware of potential sources of error and to troubleshoot and correct any issues that may arise during the experiment.

5. Can errors ever be completely eliminated in scientific research?

No, it is not possible to completely eliminate errors in scientific research. However, by being aware of potential sources of error and taking appropriate measures to minimize them, we can ensure that our data and results are as accurate and reliable as possible. It is also important to report any known errors or limitations in our research to provide transparency and context to our findings.