How Do You Calculate the Speed of a Car Based on the Differentiation Equation?

In summary, when the car is at a distance of .01 from its starting point, its speed is 25+v² and its acceleration is 25v+v³.
markosheehan
a car starts from rest. when it is at a distance s from its starting point its speed is v and its acceleration is 25v+v³. show that dv=(25+v²)ds and find (correct to 2 decimal places) its speed when s=.01
this is how i went about it
dv/dt= acceleration dv/dt=dv/ds×ds/dt=v×dv/ds

v dv/ds=25v+v³
dv/ds+25+v²
dv=(25+v²)ds i can get this but i do not understand how to get speed when s=.01

Physics news on Phys.org
markosheehan said:
a car starts from rest. when it is at a distance s from its starting point its speed is v and its acceleration is 25v+v³. show that dv=(25+v²)ds and find (correct to 2 decimal places) its speed when s=.01
this is how i went about it
dv/dt= acceleration dv/dt=dv/ds×ds/dt=v×dv/ds

v dv/ds=25v+v³
dv/ds+25+v²
dv=(25+v²)ds i can get this but i do not understand how to get speed when s=.01

Hi markosheehan! Welcome to MHB! ;)

The Taylor expansion of $v(s)$ around $s=0$ gives us:
$$v(s) = v(0) + v'(0) s + \frac 12 v''(\theta s) s^2$$
where $\theta$ is some number such that $0\le \theta \le 1$.

That is:
$$v(s) \approx v(0) + v'(0) s$$
with an error of:
$$e = \frac 12 v''(\theta s) s^2 \le \frac 12 v''(s) s^2$$

We have:
$$v(0) = 0, \quad v'(0) = 25+0^2, \quad v''(s) = 2v$$
So:
$$v(s) \approx 0 + (25 + 0^2) s = 25s$$
with an error of:
$$e = \frac 12 v''(\theta s) s^2 = \frac 12 \cdot 2v(\theta s) \cdot s^2 \le v(s)s^2 \approx 25s\cdot s^2 = 25s^3$$

Your differential equation, [tex]dv= (v^2+ 25)ds[/tex] is the same as [tex]\frac{dv}{v^2+ 25}= ds[/tex] and, integrating both sides, [tex]\frac{1}{5}arctan(5v)= s+ C[/tex] or [tex]v= \frac{1}{5}tan(5s+ C)[/tex]. At "its starting point", s= 0 and v= 0 so we have [tex]\frac{1}{5}tan(C)= 0[/tex]. [tex]tan(C)= 0[/tex] so C= 0. [tex]v= \frac{1}{5}tan(5s)[/tex]. Set s= 0.01.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Speed of a Car Based on the Differentiation Equation?

What is a differentiation equation?

A differentiation equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to find the rate of change of a function at a particular point.

How is a differentiation equation different from an ordinary equation?

A differentiation equation contains derivatives of a function, while an ordinary equation does not. This allows us to find the rate of change of a function, rather than just its value at a specific point.

Why is differentiation important?

Differentiation is important because it allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of functions, such as their rates of change, maximum and minimum points, and concavity. It is also a fundamental concept in calculus and many other branches of mathematics and science.

What are the different methods for solving a differentiation equation?

The most common methods for solving differentiation equations include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, chain rule, and implicit differentiation. Other methods such as logarithmic differentiation and partial differentiation may also be used depending on the complexity of the equation.

How is a differentiation equation used in real life?

Differentiation equations have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, biology, and more. They can be used to model and predict the behavior of systems, optimize processes, and solve various problems. For example, they can be used to calculate the velocity and acceleration of objects in motion, determine optimal production levels in a business, or predict population growth in a biological system.