How Do You Calculate Thevenin Voltage and Resistance in a Circuit?

In summary: So, if you could delete your attachment, that would be great. Thanks!P.S. -- Please read the Posting Guidelines, linked at the top of the page. Thanks for your cooperation!In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a DC source with an open circuit voltage of 7.5 volts and a 600 ohm precision resistor connected to the output, which decreases the output voltage to 7.44 volts. The conversation includes a discussion about calculating the Thevenin voltage and resistance of the source, as well as the importance of showing one's own work in homework/coursework questions. Solutions are not provided, but hints and guidance are given to aid in understanding the problem.
mechi
I have this question:

A DC source has an open circuit voltage of 7.5 volts across its output terminals. the output voltage falls to 7.44 volts when a 600 ohm precision resistor is connected to the output. draw the TEC (Vt, Rt) of the source, showing all values. also show the calculations to obtain Vt and Rt.

Any idea?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thread moved from EE to Homework Help. Welcome to the PF, mechi. Homework/coursework questions need to be posted in this area of the PF, which is set aside for homework/coursework problems, and has special rules (see the Rules link at the top of the page).

One of the rules is that you must show us your own work before we can offer tutorial help. We do not give out answers here on the PF.

So tell us what you know about a real voltage source. It consists of an ideal voltage source and what? How does that help you to set up the equations to answer your original question?

Thanks!
Well... I'm just starting my course and I'm not that good at electrical stuff.
The scheme might be like this:
R = 600
-----<><><>------ a
|
O V = 7.44v Voc= 7.5v
|
------------------- b

Being: O = V (voltage source) and <><><> = R (resistor), Voc (open circuit) = 7.5v
It is an open circuit so a dn b are not connected.

This is my understanding:
- as it is an open circuit, Vab = Vt since I=0, and therefore Rt=0
- for V=7.44 and R=600, using V=IR, I=V/R = 0.0124 A
- Rt=Vab/Iab = 7.5/0.0124 = 604.8 ohms.

Are these calculations and the above graph correct? or I'm really confuse?
Thanks for your time!

Much better. Posting your work like that really helps you learn better, and helps us offer tutorial hints to guide you to figure out the answer yourself.

So, my hint is that the resistor you've drawn should be the Rt resistance, not the 600 Ohm test load resistor. Re-label the diagram with the resistor shown as Rt, then connect the 600 Ohm test resistor to the terminals a & b on the right. Write the equation for the voltages and currents when the 600 Ohm resistor is connected, and see where that leaves you. Keep showing us your work as you go...

So... here again...

Rt
----<><>----a----
| |
O V=7.5 <> R = 600
| <>
| |
-------------b-----

- I=V/Rt = 7.5/Rt
- Knowing that Vab = Vt = 7.44
- Plug 1st formula into: I = V/(Rt+R) and getting Rt=75000 Ohms

I'm going the right way?

I'm not really tracking what you are doing. When you connect the 600 Ohm resistor on the right side to a & b, you end up with a voltage divider between Rt (on the top leg of the circuit) and the 600 Ohm resistor on the right. Use the voltage divider equation to solve this problem...

I see one of the problems -- the forum software is taking your spaces out, which compresses everything in your figure to the left. You might use the forum tags for "code" to keep it from doing that, or just sketch it and post it as an attachment.

I've attached the figure... hopefully will be understandable.

Here is the equation:

Vt=Vab=7.44
Rx=600
Vx=7.5

Vx=(Vt*Rx)/(Rt+Rx)
Therefore, Rt=-4.8 ohms
Can be negative?

Attachments

• T theorem.doc
    69.5 KB · Views: 214
mechi said:
I've attached the figure... hopefully will be understandable.

Here is the equation:

Vt=Vab=7.44
Rx=600
Vx=7.5

Vx=(Vt*Rx)/(Rt+Rx)
Therefore, Rt=-4.8 ohms
Can be negative?

Nope, can't be negative in this problem. The voltage divider lowers the open circuit source voltage Vo = 7.5V a bit due to the voltage divider loading. Try the math again...

See my attachment...

<< attachment with complete solution deleted by berkeman >>

Last edited by a moderator:
mechi said:
Thanks!
Well... I'm just starting my course and I'm not that good at electrical stuff.
The scheme might be like this:
R = 600
-----<><><>------ a
|
O V = 7.44v Voc= 7.5v
|
------------------- b

Being: O = V (voltage source) and <><><> = R (resistor), Voc (open circuit) = 7.5v
It is an open circuit so a dn b are not connected.

This is my understanding:
- as it is an open circuit, Vab = Vt since I=0, and therefore Rt=0
- for V=7.44 and R=600, using V=IR, I=V/R = 0.0124 A
- Rt=Vab/Iab = 7.5/0.0124 = 604.8 ohms.

Are these calculations and the above graph correct? or I'm really confuse?
Thanks for your time!

No they arent! The open circuit and source voltages are the same! In an open circuit there is no current, so there is no voltage drop across the Thev Resistor. However, Your numbers are correct in a way. You seem to be confused about what is meant by Thevenin
resistance. It is the resistance of the "black box".

justin0741 said:
See my attachment...

<< attachment with complete solution deleted by berkeman >>

Welcome to the PF, justin. We do not allow posting of solutions to homework/coursework questions. We require the original poster (OP) to do the bulk of the work. We can offer tutorial help, hints, suggestions, etc., but no solutions should be given.

We appreciate your help in providing tutorial help here.

Related to How Do You Calculate Thevenin Voltage and Resistance in a Circuit?

1. What is Thevenin's Theorem?

Thevenin's Theorem states that any complex linear network of resistors, voltage sources, and current sources can be replaced by an equivalent circuit consisting of a single voltage source and a single resistor.

2. When is Thevenin's Theorem used?

Thevenin's Theorem is often used in circuit analysis to simplify complex circuits and make them easier to analyze. It is particularly useful for finding the equivalent resistance of a network.

3. How do you find the Thevenin equivalent voltage?

To find the Thevenin equivalent voltage, the voltage across the load terminals must be measured while the load is disconnected from the circuit. This voltage will be the same as the Thevenin equivalent voltage.

4. How do you find the Thevenin equivalent resistance?

The Thevenin equivalent resistance can be found by first removing all voltage sources from the original circuit and calculating the resistance across the load terminals. This resistance will be the same as the Thevenin equivalent resistance.

5. Can Thevenin's Theorem be applied to non-linear circuits?

No, Thevenin's Theorem can only be applied to linear circuits. Non-linear circuits do not obey Ohm's Law and thus cannot be simplified using Thevenin's Theorem.