How Do You Solve Piecewise Calculus Functions?

• Thread starter CJ256
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the function is 1 when x is greater than or equal to -1 and 4x+5 when x is less than or equal to -1.
CJ256

Homework Statement

si9vr73ny4o1.jpg

Note: The functions above are in piece wise form, I just didn't know how to put them in piece wise function here.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

http://www.mathway.com/math_image.aspx?p=SMB02LSMB03x:-1,-xSMB02ESMB032SMB02eSMB03+2SMB02lSMB03?p=87?p=38 = 1

http://www.mathway.com/math_image.aspx?p=SMB02LSMB03x:-1,4x+5SMB02lSMB03?p=83?p=38 = 1

1/1 = 1

Answer: limit as x approaches f(x) = 1

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what your question is..
Your answer is correct

genericusrnme said:
I'm not sure what your question is..
Your answer is correct

Edited the question! Hopefully you will be able to see it and understand it and help me out.

choboplayer said:
Edited the question! Hopefully you will be able to see it and understand it and help me out.

I understand the question in the image but I don't understand your question
I'll try and explain piecewise functions but I may be going in the wrong direction

your f(x) can be thought of as two separate functions in the two separate areas, when x is greater than or equal to -1 we treat the function as 4x+5
when x is less than -1 we treat the function as -x^2 + 2

In trying to find the limit, in this simple case you can just evaluate the function at x=-1. So we would use the region where x is greater than or equal to -1 and get -4+5 = 1.
I'm assuming this is all that you're expected to be doing since it seems like this is an early calculus class that isn't going to be all rigorous.

I attatched a graph of your function if it will help

Attachments

• Untitled-1.png
    Untitled-1.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 474
genericusrnme said:
I understand the question in the image but I don't understand your question
I'll try and explain piecewise functions but I may be going in the wrong direction

your f(x) can be thought of as two separate functions in the two separate areas, when x is greater than or equal to -1 we treat the function as 4x+5
when x is less than -1 we treat the function as -x^2 + 2

In trying to find the limit, in this simple case you can just evaluate the function at x=-1. So we would use the region where x is greater than or equal to -1 and get -4+5 = 1.
I'm assuming this is all that you're expected to be doing since it seems like this is an early calculus class that isn't going to be all rigorous.

I attatched a graph of your function if it will help

So the answer to my question is just limit as x approaches -1 f(x) = 1 ? And will it be acceptable for me to just show the two cases that I have in my original answer, where I have plugged in a -1 every where I have an x?

choboplayer said:

Homework Statement

si9vr73ny4o1.jpg

Note: The functions above are in piece wise form, I just didn't know how to put them in piece wise function here.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

http://www.mathway.com/math_image.aspx?p=SMB02LSMB03x:-1,-xSMB02ESMB032SMB02eSMB03+2SMB02lSMB03?p=87?p=38 = 1

http://www.mathway.com/math_image.aspx?p=SMB02LSMB03x:-1,4x+5SMB02lSMB03?p=83?p=38 = 1

1/1 = 1

Answer: limit as x approaches f(x) = 1
While it is true that [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x\to-1}\,f(x)=1\,,[/itex] what you wrote isn't quite what you need to say.

Also, what does 1/1 = 1 have to do with this question ?

You need to show that [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x\to-1^-}\ f(x)=\lim_{x\to-1^+}\ f(x)\,.[/itex] If that is true then that common result is the limit you're looking for.

While it is true that [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x\to-1^-}\ f(x)= \lim_{x\to-1}-x^2+2\,,[/itex] and [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x\to-1^+}\ f(x)= \lim_{x\to-1}4x+5\,,[/itex] you really should state that this is what you're doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
SammyS said:
While it is true that [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x\to-1}\,f(x)=1\,,[/itex] what you wrote isn't quite what you need to say.

Also, what does 1/1 = 1 have to do with this question ?

You need to show that [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x\to-1^-}\ f(x)=\lim_{x\to-1^+}\ f(x)\,.[/itex] If that is true then that common result is the limit you're looking for.

While it is true that [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x\to-1^-}\ f(x)= \lim_{x\to-1}-x^2+2\,,[/itex] and [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x\to-1^+}\ f(x)= \lim_{x\to-1}4x+5\,,[/itex] you really should state that this is what you're doing.

So can I just rewrite your last sentence and add something like:

The above statements hold true therefore limit as x approaches -1 f(x) = 1. I mean would that be an acceptable answer?

As an instructor I would want you to indicate that you're taking a limit as x approaches -1 from the left, and taking a limit as x approaches -1 from the right.

That may be picky on my part, and many of my students would agree.

Related to How Do You Solve Piecewise Calculus Functions?

1. What is Calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of continuous change and motion. It is divided into two main branches: differential calculus, which focuses on the rate of change of a function, and integral calculus, which deals with the accumulation of quantities.

2. Why is Calculus important?

Calculus is used in many fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics to analyze and solve problems involving continuous change. It also provides a foundation for higher-level math courses and is essential for understanding concepts like optimization, rates of change, and motion.

3. What are the basic concepts of Calculus?

The basic concepts of Calculus include limits, derivatives, and integrals. Limits are used to describe the behavior of a function as the input approaches a certain value. Derivatives measure the rate of change of a function at a specific point, while integrals find the area under a curve.

4. How do I solve a Calculus problem?

To solve a Calculus problem, you must first understand the problem and identify the relevant concepts. Then, use the appropriate formulas and techniques to solve for the unknown variable. It is important to check your answer for accuracy and to understand the meaning of the solution in the context of the problem.

5. What are some tips for succeeding in Calculus?

Some tips for succeeding in Calculus include practicing regularly, understanding the concepts rather than memorizing formulas, seeking help when needed, and staying organized. It is also beneficial to read ahead and review previous material to stay on top of the course material. Additionally, using online resources and working with a study group can aid in understanding difficult concepts.