How does bicarb soda dissolve gypsum in plaster form?

In summary: Besides, in NaHCO3 solution concentration of CO32- is quite high, which means the maximum concentration of Ca2+ quite low. In 0.1 M NaHCO3 [CO32-] = 1.1×10-3 M, which puts a limit on the [Ca2+] at 2.5×10-6 M. Compare that to the concentration of Ca2+ in the saturated CaSO4, which is around 0.005 M - almost 2000 times higher than what is required required for the CaCO3 to start precipitate (assuming above concentration of CO32-).
Gypsy Moonlight
Ehecatl posted very helpful content on this ,.. Just wondering if anyone can describe the actual reaction that takes place?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Borek said:
I guess you refer to this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/acid-for-plaster-of-paris.139990/

The only chemistry I can think of is that he converted sparingly soluble CaSO4 into even less soluble CaCO3, changing the structure of the solid in the process.

Yes, that is the thread, I have, And it was brilliant advice, -I tried the bicarb solution and it worked well to dissolve the plaster/ soften enough for easy scraping.
I am hoping to be able to explain it a little to primary school kids - they will be playing archeologist with buried dinosaurs, though I now have to also give them bicarb soda to access the toys inside the plaster as I made the plaster too hard. I can talk to them about it being a base, but I don't really understand why it is working to eat away the plaster,...
There is a reaction that happens first when the water and gypsum combine, then another when the bicarb works on the plaster,. Any laymen's terms would be appreciated,
Thanks,

Every insoluble salt is in fact a bit soluble. CaSO4 has solubility around 100 times higher than CaCO3. When you add bicarbonate plaster (calcium sulfate) slowly dissolves and calcium carbonate precipitates:

CaSO4(s) + NaHCO3(aq) → CaCO3(s) + NaHSO4(aq)

It happens the precipitating CaCO3 is much easier to remove.

Disclaimer: this is just my guess, what I wrote is thermodynamically correct, but it is not necessarily the correct explanation.

Last edited:
Likes Gypsy Moonlight
Cannot Ca++ stay in solution as Ca(HCO3)2(aq)?
This is the normal species of calcium hardness in well water.

insightful said:
Cannot Ca++ stay in solution as Ca(HCO3)2(aq)?
This is the normal species of calcium hardness in well water.

Yes, but there is still a limit to how much of them can be present.

Besides, in NaHCO3 solution concentration of CO32- is quite high, which means the maximum concentration of Ca2+ quite low. In 0.1 M NaHCO3 [CO32-] = 1.1×10-3 M, which puts a limit on the [Ca2+] at 2.5×10-6 M. Compare that to the concentration of Ca2+ in the saturated CaSO4, which is around 0.005 M - almost 2000 times higher than what is required required for the CaCO3 to start precipitate (assuming above concentration of CO32-).

1. How does bicarb soda dissolve gypsum in plaster form?

When bicarb soda is mixed with water, it undergoes a chemical reaction that produces carbon dioxide gas. This gas creates tiny bubbles that help break apart the gypsum molecules in the plaster, allowing it to dissolve.

2. What is the purpose of using bicarb soda to dissolve gypsum in plaster form?

The use of bicarb soda helps to speed up the dissolution process of gypsum in plaster form. It also helps to create a smoother and more consistent mixture, making it easier to work with.

3. Can other substances be used to dissolve gypsum in plaster form?

Yes, other substances such as citric acid or vinegar can also be used to dissolve gypsum in plaster form. However, bicarb soda is a more commonly used and readily available option.

4. How long does it take for the bicarb soda to dissolve the gypsum in plaster form?

The dissolution process can vary depending on the amount of bicarb soda and water used, as well as the quality and type of plaster. Typically, it can take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours for the plaster to fully dissolve.

5. Is it necessary to use bicarb soda to dissolve gypsum in plaster form?

No, it is not necessary to use bicarb soda to dissolve gypsum in plaster form. However, it can be a helpful and efficient method for dissolving the plaster, especially for larger quantities.