How does coconut oil promote collagen production?

• Medical
  • Thread starter bluemoonKY
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oil
In summary, coconut oil has been shown to promote collagen production in wound healing through its various biologically active components. However, there are other ways to increase collagen production, such as proper hydration, nutrition, and sleep, as well as establishing a good skin hygiene routine. Mechanical and chemical methods of skin exfoliation can also stimulate collagen production, but they come with their own risks and should be used carefully. Chemical peels, while effective, can be painful and should be done by professionals. Unfortunately, these methods do not apply to the delicate skin around the eyes, which is prone to sagging and wrinkles due to constant makeup application and removal.
bluemoonKY
I read on the internet that Coconut oil promotes collagen production, but my source on the internet does not say what coconut oil does to promote collagen production. I know that coconut oil is good for skin because coconut oil serves as a moisturizer. Does coconut oil only promote collagen production because coconut oil serves as a moisturizer, or does coconut oil promote collagen production in a way other than serving as a moisturizer?

Biology news on Phys.org
Probably from this study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20523108
RESULTS:
VCO-treated wounds healed much faster, as indicated by a decreased time of complete epithelization and higher levels of various skin components. Pepsin-soluble collagen showed a significant increase in VCO- treated wounds, indicating a higher collagen cross-linking. Glycohydrolase activities were also found to be increased due to a higher turnover of collagen. Antioxidant enzyme activities, and reduced glutathione and malondialdehyde levels were found to be increased on the 10th day after wounding, which were found to have returned to normal levels on day 14 in the treated wounds. The lipid peroxide levels were found to be lower in the treated wounds. A histopathological study showed an increase in fibroblast proliferation and neovascularization in VCO-treated wounds compared to controls.

CONCLUSION:
The beneficial effect of VCO can be attributed to the cumulative effect of various biologically active minor components present in it.

It doesn't state how it promotes collagen production (in wound healing) or if it was moisturizing properties, just that there are various biological active components in virgin coconut oil that it can be attributed to.

This isn't the only way to increase collagen production.

Likes Evo, jim mcnamara and DrClaude
What is the other way(s) to increase collagen production?

Proper hydration, nutrition, and sleep (overall general health) are the most important. The next is establishing a good skin hygiene routine to keep the skin healthy and clean. Products infused with collagen may be shown to be effective, but really, collagen molecules are too large to penetrate skin, so focusing on products that improve the overall health of skin would be a better investment. Many skin products cannot penetrate the skin deeply and serve as a protective barrier. Any kind of stimulation, like massage or dry skin brushing, to improve circulation will affect collagen production.

Most methods of skin exfoliation, removing top layers of dead skin cells, will increase collagen production. There are two types: mechanical and chemical. Both have pros and cons. Mechanical methods are usually abrasive materials, such as exfoliating beads found in some products and microdermabrasion systems, pumice stones or brushes. There is a large risk of damaging the skin by removing larger chunks than intended when using products with too large granules, also scarring and infection are risks. However, it’s still less risky than using chemical exfoliation. The smaller the granule, the more uniform the layer of skin removed will be. Overusing or misusing exfoliating products are probably the number one reason for the permanent enlargement of pores! I’ve been using Neutrogena’s Microdermabrasion system for a few years, the pads are loaded with very tiny crystals and you can use it based on need- the refills are also very affordable. I occasionally use a boar brush on my skin before moisturizing; it also helps to improve circulation, which improves collagen production. There are also many other methods I’ve not tried, like laser therapy, skin leveling uses a dermablade that pokes hundreds of tiny holes into the skin or another method where a razor blade is moved across the skin by an aesthetician. Any sort of waxing or shaving also exfoliates, if you have ever wondered why men often look younger, shaving their faces does that!

Chemical exfoliation is often how the most expensive anti-aging products work over many uses. Many of the working ingredients in beauty cleansers and lotions are heavily diluted alpha hyroxy acids. Stronger acids are mainly used in the form of a chemical peel and remove more layers than mechanical methods. With these methods, you are injuring the skin, so that a newer layer will form (also increasing collagen production). I tend to be harsh to my skin and accumulate a lot of sun damage through tanning during warm months, so have begun to do my own chemical peels at home (common). I’ve had success with removing damage twice so far using 30% trichloroacetic acid and cutting glycolic acid into lotions. They can be quite painful, so if you’ve not had one before, I advise having an aesthetician or dermatologist perform at least the first one and reviewing some basic chemistry first. If the burn is non-uniform, then the areas that lag behind in healing can scar and an area can become infected. If you don't have issues with being frugal in some areas or needing to do things yourself, then better to have professionals do it! Of course, I'm not condoning suntanning, I know preventing sun damage and using SPF inadvertently means better skin health and collagen production, best to not do that...

Unfortunately, none of this applies to the eye area, the skin there is too thin for mechanical exfoliation and acids aren’t supposed to be used near the eyes. I don’t wear much foundation (often agitates my skin), but use eye and lip makeup almost daily, often heavily. Constantly applying and removing eye makeup is like a double whammy to the collagen and structural support around the eyes, all that tugging takes a toll! I use a light scrub on my lips daily before applying a stain, which works out well. But, the eye area still presents a problem for me and I’ve yet to find a suitable long-term solution! I’ve often been warned that I could be traded off for a "newer model” if I’m not careful. It's as if my eyes are moving downward at a rate of 3mm a year! If you find any tips about improving collagen production in the eye area and preventing eye sagging/wrinkles then I would be happy to know about it!

Last edited:
Moisturizers aren't always good for the skin, it can make skin more susceptible to irritants. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10086859

Moisturizers are well known for trapping water, the problem is that they also attract and trap larger particles and harmful irritants, having a clean face is more important than heavily moisturized skin. Bacteria thrive in water and biofilms can easily develop if the face isn't kept clean enough, overusing moisturizers also prevent shedding and can keep pores clogged. Coconut oil is a good choice, I've read that it does penetrate the skin and hair cuticle, unlike other oils. It's also highly recommended for infants and children, popular baby products have been found to be irritating. But, I would still be weary of wearing it for too long without good washes in between.

1. How does coconut oil promote collagen production?

Coconut oil contains medium-chain fatty acids, specifically lauric acid, which has been shown to stimulate collagen production in the skin. It also contains antioxidants that can protect against collagen breakdown.

2. Can coconut oil be used topically to promote collagen production?

Yes, applying coconut oil directly to the skin can help promote collagen production. It can be used as a moisturizer or added to homemade skincare products.

3. Is there any scientific evidence to support the claim that coconut oil promotes collagen production?

Yes, there have been several studies that have shown the potential of coconut oil to stimulate collagen production. However, more research is needed to fully understand its effects on collagen in the skin.

4. Are there any other benefits of using coconut oil for collagen production?

In addition to promoting collagen production, coconut oil can also improve skin hydration, reduce inflammation, and protect against UV damage, all of which can contribute to healthier and more youthful-looking skin.

5. How often should coconut oil be used to promote collagen production?

This can vary for each individual and their skin type. It is generally recommended to use coconut oil as a moisturizer daily or a few times a week to see the benefits on collagen production over time.