How Does Stretching a Polymer Relate to Hooke's Law?

• Thread starter CottonHill
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polymer
In summary, the conversation discusses an equation that relates the force needed to stretch a polymer molecule to various parameters such as temperature and persistence length. It is shown that when the amount of stretch is small compared to the contour length, the equation approximates Hooke's Law. The question asks for the effective spring constant of the molecule, which can be found by taking the limit of the equation as the amount of stretch approaches zero and the contour length approaches infinity. The expert provides clarification on the use of F as a constant and explains how the equation relates to Hooke's Law.
CottonHill
The question tells me that some experiments have shown that the force needed to stretch a polymer molecule by an amount (Δl) is given approximately by:

F= (kBT/P)*((1/4)*(Lo2/(L-Δl)2-(1/4)+(Δl/L))

Yea, I know, nasty looking. Anywho:

F = Force
T = Temp.
kB = Boltzmann's Constant
P = Persistence Length
Lo = Contour Length
Δl = Amount of Stretch of Polymer Molecule

After giving all of that lovely info, the question says to show that if Δl is small relative to Lo, it approximates Hooke's Law. Then it asks to find the effective spring constant of the molecule.

So far I have taken that equation and said if Δl approaches zero and L0 approaches ∞ then we get down to:

F=(kB*T)/P

I can explain that Hooke's Law says that a force (F) equals a constant relating to energy of a spring (k) times the distance (x)...
And that relates to the above equation by having a force (F) equals a constant relating to energy of stretching (kB) times a a distance (P). Ignoring T.

Is my logic correct and how would I find the spring constant of this molecule? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't understand F is a constant. Does that mean F is non-zero even when Δl is zero ? You say
So far I have taken that equation and said if Δl approaches zero and L0 approaches ∞ then we get down to:
F=(kB*T)/P
This is true, but it's not the same as taking the limit ##{\Delta {\rm l}\over {\rm L}}\, \rightarrow 0##

(Note you don't want L ##\rightarrow \infty##)

What is stretching of polymers?

Stretching of polymers refers to the process of elongating a polymer material beyond its original size. This can be done through physical manipulation or by applying external forces such as heat or tension.

What are the benefits of stretching polymers?

Stretching polymers can improve their mechanical properties, such as strength and flexibility, making them more suitable for various applications. It can also increase the polymer's surface area, making it more reactive and responsive to external stimuli.

Can all types of polymers be stretched?

No, not all types of polymers can be stretched. The ability to stretch a polymer depends on its molecular structure and composition. Some polymers, like natural rubber, can be easily stretched due to their long, interconnected polymer chains, while others, like thermosetting plastics, cannot be stretched due to their cross-linked structure.

How is stretching of polymers studied in the laboratory?

Stretching of polymers is studied in the laboratory using various techniques such as tensile testing, where a polymer sample is subjected to controlled tension until it breaks. Other methods include dynamic mechanical analysis, which measures the mechanical properties of a polymer during stretching, and X-ray diffraction, which gives information about the molecular structure of the polymer during stretching.

What are some real-world applications of stretching polymers?

Stretching of polymers has many real-world applications, such as in the production of plastic films and fibers, which require stretching to improve their properties. It is also used in the manufacturing of rubber products, such as tires and elastic bands, and in the production of artificial muscles for robotics. Additionally, stretching of polymers is utilized in biomedical research for tissue engineering and drug delivery systems.