How Does the Kronecker Delta Function as a Substitution Operator?

• Thread starter bossman007
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Delta
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Kronecker Delta in solving a given problem. The Delta acts as a substitution operator, replacing repeated indices with 1 or 0 based on their equality. Through this understanding, the problem is successfully solved.
bossman007

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://postimage.org/image/s7m1kohst/ [/PLAIN]

Homework Equations

The Kronecker Delta = 1 ; if i=j

The Kronecker Delta = 0 ; i (not equal) j

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea what to do from here, or even if I did this first step right?
[PLAIN]http://postimage.org/image/t3d3u9qg7/ [/PLAIN]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Still no luck on my own :(

bossman007 said:
Still no luck on my own :(

Okay so expanding your sum :

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^{3}a_iδ_{ij} = a_1δ_{1j} + a_2δ_{2j} + a_3δ_{3j}[/tex]

Note that the only term which survives is the term [itex]a_jδ_{jj}[/itex] where i=j, but [itex]δ_{jj} = 1[/itex] as per the Delta Kronecker. So [itex]a_jδ_{jj} = a_j[/itex]

Are you sure that's the question? I feel as if you're missing something. Some important intervals are not mentioned here.

Thats the entire problem...im still confused from ur response, but I feel u gave me a good nudge in the right direction. thx

Last edited:
That's the entire problem...hmmm

I solved it for good, I understand it now. many thanks. The Kronecker Delta has the role of a substitution operator, basically replacing a repeated indice

Related to How Does the Kronecker Delta Function as a Substitution Operator?

What is a Kronecker Delta problem?

A Kronecker Delta problem is a mathematical problem that involves the use of the Kronecker delta function, denoted by the symbol δ. This function is often used in linear algebra and calculus to represent a binary relation between two elements.

How is a Kronecker Delta problem solved?

A Kronecker Delta problem is typically solved by identifying the values of the variables involved and plugging them into the appropriate formula. This may involve using properties of the Kronecker delta function, such as its symmetry and orthogonality, to simplify the problem.

What are some real-world applications of Kronecker Delta problems?

Kronecker Delta problems have many applications in physics, engineering, and statistics. For example, they can be used to solve problems involving vector spaces, orthogonality of signals, and probability distributions.

What are some common mistakes when solving Kronecker Delta problems?

One common mistake when solving Kronecker Delta problems is confusing the Kronecker delta function with the Dirac delta function. While they are both used in mathematical equations, the Kronecker delta function is discrete and the Dirac delta function is continuous.

Why is understanding Kronecker Delta problems important?

Understanding Kronecker Delta problems is important for anyone working in fields that involve linear algebra, calculus, or probability. These problems can also help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are valuable in many areas of science and research.