How does the Subservient Chicken work?

• Thread starter Kerrie
  • Start date
In summary, the chicken listens to you if you are standing in the middle of the room and it can do simple tasks (sit, jump, roll over). However, it is not very smart and will do things unrelated to what you are asking it to do.
Kerrie
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Does this chicken listen to you too? This is interesting...anyone have any idea how it "works"?

Subservient Chicken

Physics news on Phys.org
It has to be standing still facing you in the middle of the room to hear you.

It's not very smart though. It can sit, jump, and roll over, but can't do complex tasks.

I told it to get a beer and it walked on the couch.

I told it to find the telecommando and it tried - but everyone knows its under the cushions, not under the back of the couch. Of course, sometimes its under the front of the couch (I saw that on "In Search of Lost Objects").

It will also watch TV...

Okay, folks, "it" is a guy in a chicken suit. This looks like it might actually be one of those live, interactive webcam set ups. I hope that guy gets paid better than minimum wage to wear a chicken suit, run over to his camera, and do stupid commands every time someone logs into that site. I think he's a slow reader too. I suppose if you check in when others are also logged on, he might do things you aren't asking because it's what someone else is asking.

No no.
What this is a series of pre-recorded videos. The "Contacting chicken" is just the time it takes for the videos to load.
The script would look for certain words, and if they appear, then a video is loaded. It's just a bunch of if() functions.

i realized that later zetag once i gave it the same commands and it did identical actions...at first it was hilarious though...

I remember this site from a long time ago. Its weird how many commands you can give. A funny one was telling the chicken to poke his eye out.

You can get the chicken to Kick, Smell itself, whistles, swims and sleeps.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Last edited:
You can also go Cheney on it, and tell it to go **** itself. But it seems to get really confused after that. :-p

Related to How does the Subservient Chicken work?

What is a Subservient Chicken?

A Subservient Chicken is a promotional character created by Burger King in 2004 as part of their "Have it Your Way" campaign. It was a man in a chicken costume who would respond to commands from viewers on a website.

How did the Subservient Chicken work?

The Subservient Chicken was controlled by a person in a motion capture suit, who would respond to specific commands programmed into the website. The website also featured pre-recorded videos of the chicken performing various actions.

Why was the Subservient Chicken created?

The Subservient Chicken was created as a marketing tactic to promote Burger King's "Have it Your Way" campaign and to engage with consumers in a unique and interactive way.

Is the Subservient Chicken still active?

No, the Subservient Chicken promotion ended in 2004 and the website is no longer active. However, Burger King has occasionally brought back the character for limited-time promotions.

Did the Subservient Chicken campaign have any impact?

The Subservient Chicken campaign was considered a successful marketing tactic, with millions of visitors to the website, increased sales for Burger King, and numerous awards. It also sparked discussion and debate about the use of interactive advertising and the role of social media in marketing.