How does the wavelength of light affect the radius of a diffraction disc?

In summary, when visible light passes through a circular hole, it forms a diffraction disc with a radius of 0.1mm on a screen. If X-ray is passed through the same set up, the radius of the diffraction disc will change depending on the wavelength of the X-ray. Knowing the general effects of changing the wavelength on diffraction and interference patterns can help in understanding this phenomenon. It is recommended to refer to class notes or a textbook for further information.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Visible light passing through a circular hole forms a diffraction disc of radius 0.1mm on a screen. If X-ray is passed through the same set up, what will happen to the radius of diffraction disc?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really clueless regarding this question. I tried to find a formula for radius of the disc but I don't think I need any formulas. Can anyone please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
What formula do you have that describes diffraction?

utkarshakash said:
. . . I don't think I need any formulas. Can anyone please help?
Without using formulas, you would need to know in general what happens to diffraction and interference patterns when the wavelength is increased or decreased.

So, your textbook or class notes should either have a formula for diffraction, or have a discussion about diffraction that includes how the wavelength affects diffraction.

Related to How does the wavelength of light affect the radius of a diffraction disc?

What is the radius of diffraction disc?

The radius of diffraction disc is the distance from the center of the diffraction pattern to the first dark ring. It is also known as the Airy disk radius or the Rayleigh criterion.

How is the radius of diffraction disc calculated?

The radius of diffraction disc can be calculated using the formula r ≈ 1.22λf/D, where r is the radius, λ is the wavelength of light, f is the focal length of the lens, and D is the diameter of the lens or aperture. This formula is based on the Rayleigh criterion, which states that the first minimum of the diffraction pattern should be at a distance of 1.22 times the wavelength from the center of the pattern.

Why is the radius of diffraction disc important?

The radius of diffraction disc is important because it determines the resolution of an optical system. A smaller radius means a sharper and more detailed image, while a larger radius indicates a less detailed image. It is also a measure of the diffraction limit, which is the smallest feature that can be resolved by the system.

What factors affect the radius of diffraction disc?

The radius of diffraction disc is affected by several factors, including the wavelength of light, the focal length of the lens, and the diameter of the lens or aperture. Additionally, the type of lens and the quality of the lens surface can also affect the radius. Generally, shorter wavelengths and larger apertures result in smaller diffraction discs.

Can the radius of diffraction disc be reduced?

The radius of diffraction disc can be reduced by using a lens with a larger aperture or a lens with a shorter focal length. However, this may also result in other optical aberrations that can affect the overall image quality. Additionally, using shorter wavelengths of light can also reduce the radius of diffraction disc, but this may not always be possible depending on the application.