How far from the mirror should the light source be positioned?

In summary, the focal point of a mirror is located at the point of intersection of the two lines drawn from the mirror to the object and back to the mirror.
A13235378
Homework Statement
A projector is built using a point light source and a concave spherical mirror. The rays reflected in the mirror hit a screen that is at a distance L from the mirror. The beam of light falling on the bulkhead has a diameter d. The mirror diameter is worth D and its focal length, f. How far from the mirror should the light source be positioned?
Relevant Equations
1/f = 1/p + 1/p'
Sem título.png

C= mirror center
O = vertex

I don't know if the design is right, if someone can show me the correct one. I also don't know how to proceed in geometry

Solution: Lf / ( L - f( 1 + d/D))

Physics news on Phys.org
A13235378 said:
Homework Statement:: A projector is built using a point light source and a concave spherical mirror. The rays reflected in the mirror hit a screen that is at a distance L from the mirror. The beam of light falling on the bulkhead has a diameter d. The mirror diameter is worth D and its focal length, f. How far from the mirror should the light source be positioned?
Relevant Equations:: 1/f = 1/p + 1/p'

View attachment 267547
C= mirror center
O = vertex

I don't know if the design is right, if someone can show me the correct one. I also don't know how to proceed in geometry

Solution: Lf / ( L - f( 1 + d/D))
Is the solution you present yours or someone else's? You have a relevant equation which is the right one to use. What are f, p and p' in terms of the given quantities L and D? Which of the three is the unknown? Just substitute in the equation the known quantities and solve for the unknown.

kuruman said:
Is the solution you present yours or someone else's? You have a relevant equation which is the right one to use. What are f, p and p' in terms of the given quantities L and D? Which of the three is the unknown? Just substitute in the equation the known quantities and solve for the unknown.

This solution is from my book, I used the Gaussian equation, but I was unable to relate D and d. I used p= x (what I want to find) and p'= L . Where I put D and d

Actually the mirror equation that you have is for the locating the image of the object. You have a point source which should produce a point image at point p' from the mirror, not a circle of diameter ##d##. So the idea is to abandon the mirror equation and use geometry to get the answer. A better diagram should be very helpful. I need to think about this some more and draw my own diagram.

A13235378 said:
I don't know if the design is right, if someone can show me the correct one. I also don't know how to proceed in

I think the diameter D of the mirror is as shown below:
1597095214875.png

My hint would be to extend rays 1 and 2 back behind the mirror. What is the significance of the point of intersection of the these lines?

Likes A13235378 and kuruman
Arrgh! I interpreted D to be the diameter as in D = 2R = 4f. It makes much more sense now.

TSny said:
I think the diameter D of the mirror is as shown below:
View attachment 267595

My hint would be to extend rays 1 and 2 back behind the mirror. What is the significance of the point of intersection of the these lines?
It worked , ty

Likes kuruman and TSny

1. How does the distance between the light source and the mirror affect the reflection?

The distance between the light source and the mirror affects the reflection by determining the size and clarity of the reflected image. The farther the light source is from the mirror, the larger and dimmer the reflected image will be. Conversely, the closer the light source is to the mirror, the smaller and brighter the reflected image will be.

2. Is there an ideal distance for the light source to be positioned from the mirror?

There is no one ideal distance for the light source to be positioned from the mirror as it depends on the specific setup and desired outcome. However, generally speaking, a distance of 1-2 feet is a good starting point for most situations.

3. How does the angle of the light source affect the reflection?

The angle of the light source also plays a role in the reflection. The angle of incidence (the angle at which the light hits the mirror) is equal to the angle of reflection (the angle at which the light bounces off the mirror). So, changing the angle of the light source will change the angle of the reflected light and therefore, the direction of the reflected image.

4. Can the distance between the light source and the mirror be too close or too far?

Yes, the distance between the light source and the mirror can be too close or too far depending on the desired outcome. If the light source is too close, the reflected image may be too bright and small, making it difficult to see. On the other hand, if the light source is too far, the reflected image may be too dim and large, also making it difficult to see.

5. How does the type of light source affect the reflection?

The type of light source can affect the reflection in terms of the color and intensity of the reflected light. For example, a white light source will produce a white reflected light, while a colored light source will produce a colored reflected light. Additionally, the intensity of the light source will determine the brightness of the reflected image.