How Is the Radius of Curvature 8.68 mm Calculated for a Lens?

In summary, the task at hand is to calculate the radius of curvature of a transparent medium with a refractive index of 1.33, where parallel light enters and converges at 35 mm behind the surface. The correct answer is 8.68 mm, but the given attempts using the equations for focus and lens-maker's equation did not yield this result. The correct formula to use is F=n_2 R/(n_2-n_1).
roam

Homework Statement

Parallel light in air enters a transparent medium of refractive index 1.33 and is focused 35 mm behind the surface. Calculate the radius of curvature of the surface of the medium

Homework Equations

[itex]f = \frac{R}{2}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{1}{f}=(n-1) \left( \frac{1}{R_1}-\frac{1}{R_2} \right)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The correct answer must be 8.68 mm, I can't see how they got this answer.

We know that the focus is 35 mm, so if we use the equation

[itex]R=2f=2 \times 35 = 70 \ mm[/itex]

But this is not correct and it doesn't take into account the refractive index.

So, I also tried using the lens-maker's equation:

[itex]\frac{1}{35} = (1.33-1) \left( \frac{1}{R}- 0 \right) \implies R = 17.9[/itex]

I wasn't sure what to use for the second radius so I used 0, and I didn't get the correct answer. So how can I get 8.68 mm?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you understood the problem correctly. You have light in one medium entering another medium through a parabolic surface. Not sure the level of your class, but since it's posted in intro phys, I'll just give you the formula.

[tex]F=n_ 2 R/(n_2-n_1)[/tex]

Related to How Is the Radius of Curvature 8.68 mm Calculated for a Lens?

1. What is the radius of curvature?

The radius of curvature is a measure of how curved a line or surface is at a particular point. It is defined as the radius of the circle that best approximates the curve at that point.

2. How is the radius of curvature calculated?

The radius of curvature can be calculated using the formula: R = (1 + (dy/dx)^2)^(3/2) / |d^2y/dx^2|, where dy/dx is the first derivative of the curve and d^2y/dx^2 is the second derivative.

3. What is the difference between the radius of curvature and the curvature?

The radius of curvature is a specific numerical value that describes the amount of curvature at a particular point, while the curvature is a more general term that refers to the overall shape or amount of bending in a curve or surface. The radius of curvature is a measure of the curvature at a specific point on a curve or surface.

4. Does the radius of curvature change along a curve or surface?

Yes, the radius of curvature can vary along a curve or surface, as it is dependent on the shape and direction of the curve at each point. It can also change over time if the curve or surface is dynamic.

5. What is the significance of the radius of curvature in physics and engineering?

The radius of curvature is an important concept in physics and engineering, as it is used to analyze and design structures and systems that involve curved surfaces or trajectories. It is also used in optics to determine the focal length of lenses and mirrors, and in mechanics to calculate the curvature of objects in motion.