How long does it take to push this block at an angle?

In summary, the homework statement is that a 100 kg block is pushed across a level frictionless surface at a 60 degree angle, with a force of 20 Newtons. It takes 100 seconds for the block to go 100 meters.
EthanVandals

Homework Statement

A 100 kg block is pushed across a level frictionless surface at a 60 degree angle, with a force of 20 Newtons. How many seconds does it take to go 100 meters?

m = 100kg
Mu = 0

Homework Equations

F = MA

The Attempt at a Solution

I sketched out the problem on my paper here, showing the downward angle force of 20N as Fx, and then the angle of 60 degrees being theta. From there it just turned into a mess of equations, some of which may be right, others which may not, and I was wondering if I did this problem correctly.

JcCVb70.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
EthanVandals said:

Homework Statement

A 100 kg block is pushed across a level frictionless surface at a 60 degree angle, with a force of 20 Newtons. How many seconds does it take to go 100 meters?

m = 100kg
Mu = 0

Homework Equations

F = MA

The Attempt at a Solution

I sketched out the problem on my paper here, showing the downward angle force of 20N as Fx, and then the angle of 60 degrees being theta. From there it just turned into a mess of equations, some of which may be right, others which may not, and I was wondering if I did this problem correctly.

JcCVb70.jpg

You have the wrong equation for the last part. What is kinematic equation for position?

The problem is vague in that it doesn't specify how the angle is to be measured. Is it measured from the vertical? From the horizontal? It makes a difference.

gneill said:
The problem is vague in that it doesn't specify how the angle is to be measured. Is it measured from the vertical? From the horizontal? It makes a difference.
.. and is its vertical component up or down?

gneill said:
Welcome to my world with my physics professor that drives me insane. I believe it's supposed to be how it is in the attached drawing. 60 degrees upward from the x axis.

EthanVandals said:
30 degrees upward from the x axis
The drawing has it acting downward from 30 degrees above the x axis. I assume that is what you mean.
Please respond to Student100's observation, that your equation D=at is wrong.

Student100 said:
You have the wrong equation for the last part. What is kinematic equation for position?

Ohh, it's D = InitialVelocity*Time + 0.5a*t^2, isn't it?

EthanVandals said:
Ohh, it's D = InitialVelocity*Time + 0.5a*t^2, isn't it?
Yes.

1. How does the angle affect the time it takes to push a block?

The angle at which a block is pushed can greatly affect the time it takes to move the block. This is because the force used to push the block is divided into horizontal and vertical components, with the horizontal component being responsible for the block's motion. The steeper the angle, the smaller the horizontal component, resulting in a longer time to push the block.

2. Does the weight of the block affect the time it takes to push it at an angle?

Yes, the weight of the block does affect the time it takes to push it at an angle. Heavier blocks require more force to be moved, which means it will take longer to push the block at an angle compared to a lighter block.

3. How does the surface of the block and the ground affect the time it takes to push it at an angle?

The surface of the block and the ground can affect the time it takes to push the block at an angle. If either surface is rough or uneven, it can create more friction, making it harder to push the block and resulting in a longer time. Smoother surfaces will have less friction and therefore a shorter time to push the block.

4. Is there a specific formula to calculate the time it takes to push a block at an angle?

Yes, there is a formula to calculate the time it takes to push a block at an angle. It is called the Work-Energy Theorem and it states that the work done (force x distance) is equal to the change in kinetic energy (1/2 x mass x velocity^2). This formula can be used to calculate the time by rearranging the equation to solve for time.

5. How can I decrease the time it takes to push a block at an angle?

There are a few ways to decrease the time it takes to push a block at an angle. One way is to decrease the weight of the block, as this will require less force to move it. Another way is to use a smoother surface or lubricant to reduce friction. Additionally, increasing the angle at which the block is pushed can also decrease the time, as it increases the horizontal component of the force.