How Many Electrons Generate the Charge in Coulomb's Law Problem?

In summary, two spherical objects separated by a distance of 1.98 x 10^-3 m each acquire the same negative charge due to the addition of electrons. This results in an electrostatic force of 4.19 x 10^-21 N between the objects. Using Coulomb's law and the given constants, it can be determined that it took approximately 8.44 electrons to produce the charge on one of the objects. There may be an error in the question as multiple attempts yield the same result.
kgigs6

Homework Statement

Two spherical objects are separated by a distance of 1.98 x 10-3 m. The objects are initially electrically neutral and are very small compared to the distance between them. Each object acquires the same negative charge due to the addition of electrons. As a result, each object experiences an electrostatic force that has a magnitude of 4.19 x 10-21 N. How many electrons did it take to produce the charge on one of the objects?

Homework Equations

F = k q1q2/r^2

N= Q/e

k = 8.99E9 nm^2/c^2
e= -1.602E-19C

The Attempt at a Solution

I used coulomb's law and plugged in the Force as 4.19E-21N, boltsmans constant for k and 1.98E-3m as the r^2.

4.19E-21N = (8.99E9Nm^2/C^2)(q^2)/(1.98E-3)^2
1.642E-26N/m^2 = (8.99E9Nm^2/C^2)(q^2)
q = sqrt(1.82719E-36)
q= 1.3517E-18C

N= Q/e
N= (-1.3517E-18C)/(-1.602E-19C)
N= 8.43781 electrons

I've done this over and over and get the same answer but it tells me I'm wrong and I'm not sure what else to try :/

Physics news on Phys.org
I got the same thing independently. Looks like there is an error in the question.

Thanks for your help, It's good to know I'm not crazy hah

Related to How Many Electrons Generate the Charge in Coulomb's Law Problem?

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the electrostatic interaction between two charged particles. It states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How does Coulomb's Law apply to electrons?

Electrons are negatively charged particles and therefore, are subject to the force described by Coulomb's Law. The law helps to explain the behavior of electrons in atoms and the interactions between electrons and other charged particles.

3. What is the significance of Coulomb's constant?

Coulomb's constant is a proportionality constant in Coulomb's Law and is equal to 8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2. It helps to quantify the strength of the electrostatic force between charged particles and is a fundamental constant in electromagnetism.

4. How does the distance between charged particles affect the force described by Coulomb's Law?

The force between two charged particles is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between charged particles increases, the force decreases. Similarly, as the distance decreases, the force increases.

5. Can Coulomb's Law be applied to objects with non-point charges?

Yes, Coulomb's Law can be applied to objects with non-point charges, but it requires some modifications. The law can be used to calculate the force between two charged objects by treating each object as a collection of point charges and using vector addition to find the total force.