How many electrons make up a charge of -90.0μC ?

In summary: So "5,62*10^14" is true.In summary, the conversation was about expressing an answer using three significant figures and finding the result of a calculation involving the charge on an electron. The expert advised using values with more significant figures for constants and being careful with rounding or truncating intermediate values. After some clarification, the final result was determined to be 5,62*10^14 or 5,62E+14, and it was important to check if the computer program accepts a comma or a decimal point for numeric values.
Orhan
It says in question "Express your answer using three significant figures."

Now;
I know
1e = 1,6*10^-19C
-90μC=-9*10^-5C
N=q/e

so

(-9*10^-5C)/(1,6*10^-19C)
=-5,625E+14 or -5,625*10^14

but that's a computer program so i don't know what it really wants from me
i don't know my answer is true or not. i really need some help

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Orhan,
Welcome to Physics Forums.

In future, please use the formatting template provided to format your question. It's in the rules.

Orhan said:
It says in question "Express your answer using three significant figures."

Now;
I know
1e = 1,6*10^-19C
-90μC=-9*10^-5C
N=q/e

so

(-9*10^-5C)/(1,6*10^-19C)
=-5,625E+14 or -5,625*10^14

but that's a computer program so i don't know what it really wants from me
i don't know my answer is true or not. i really need some help
Note that the charge on an electron is negative. The e you've used is just the magnitude of that charge, so be sure to include the correct sign! You should end up with a positive number for the number of electrons.

Note also that they are asking for three significant figures. The value of e that you've used contains only two! So find (look up) a better value for e.

gneill said:
Hello Orhan,
Welcome to Physics Forums.

In future, please use the formatting template provided to format your question. It's in the rules.Note that the charge on an electron is negative. The e you've used is just the magnitude of that charge, so be sure to include the correct sign! You should end up with a positive number for the number of electrons.

Note also that they are asking for three significant figures. The value of e that you've used contains only two! So find (look up) a better value for e.

I searched from the net it says
1e = 1.60217646e-19C
so 1,60 is its 3 digit version and it equals 1,6. I thought that way. And yeah i fixed the -/+ problem but still not true

Orhan said:
I searched from the net it says
1e = 1.60217646e-19C
so 1,60 is its 3 digit version and it equals 1,6. I thought that way. And yeah i fixed the -/+ problem but still not true
When you have constants in your calculations (like pi, or e, or the charge on an electron), it's always better to use values with more significant figures than the number of figures in your other data. Don't trim or round intermediate values n your calculation steps, otherwise rounding or truncation errors will creep into your significant digits.

Now, what do you mean by "still not true"? What is your current result?

gneill said:
When you have constants in your calculations (like pi, or e, or the charge on an electron), it's always better to use values with more significant figures than the number of figures in your other data. Don't trim or round intermediate values n your calculation steps, otherwise rounding or truncation errors will creep into your significant digits.

Now, what do you mean by "still not true"? What is your current result?

Sorry for my bad English but i don't know if i understood true. u mean use "1e = 1.60217646e-19C" in your calculations and express your result after all the calculations finished, right ?
Edit : i just changed - to + nothing more :)

Orhan said:
Sorry for my bad English but i don't know if i understood true. u mean use "1e = 1.60217646e-19C" in your calculations and express your result after all the calculations finished, right ?
Edit : i just changed - to + nothing more :)
Well, if you're going for 3 significant figures in your you might want to use 5 for your constants.

The numerical value that you presented initially (ignoring the sign) was not specified to three significant figures (it was specified to four, and they were not accurate to four!).

Also, Orhan, please note that text-speak abbreviations like "u" for "you" are not allowed on the Forums.

gneill said:
Well, if you're going for 3 significant figures in your you might want to use 5 for your constants.

The numerical value that you presented initially (ignoring the sign) was not specified to three significant figures (it was specified to four, and they were not accurate to four!).

Also, Orhan, please note that text-speak abbreviations like "u" for "you" are not allowed on the Forums.
sorry for abbreviation.
I'm doing everything and finding the result = 5,62*10^14 or 5,62E+14
and i just want to be sure 1,23 has 3 significant figures right? or should it be 1,234?

Orhan said:
sorry for abbreviation.
I'm doing everything and finding the result = 5,62*10^14 or 5,62E+14
and i just want to be sure 1,23 has 3 significant figures right? or should it be 1,234?
Three figures means three digits. So 1,23 has three significant digits.

Your value 5,62*10^14 looks good. Now, I don't know where the computer program that you're using was authored, but be sure to confirm that it accepts a comma as a decimal point for numeric values. You'll have to read its documentation to find out how to specify entries that require scientific notation.

gneill said:
Three figures means three digits. So 1,23 has three significant digits.

Your value 5,62*10^14 looks good. Now, I don't know where the computer program that you're using was authored, but be sure to confirm that it accepts a comma as a decimal point for numeric values. You'll have to read its documentation to find out how to specify entries that require scientific notation.
Thanks for help i entered 999 times 5,62*10^14 because in lessons we use ",". But i changed with "." and it said to me correct.

Related to How many electrons make up a charge of -90.0μC ?

1. What is the unit of charge for -90.0μC?

The unit of charge for -90.0μC is microcoulombs (μC).

2. How many electrons are needed to make up a charge of -90.0μC?

To determine the number of electrons, we can use the formula Q = ne, where Q is the charge in coulombs, n is the number of electrons, and e is the elementary charge. Since -90.0μC is equivalent to -9.0 x 10^-5 C, we can rearrange the formula to solve for n. Therefore, -90.0μC = n(-1.6 x 10^-19 C). Solving for n, we get n = 5.625 x 10^14 electrons.

3. Is -90.0μC considered a positive or negative charge?

Since the charge is negative, -90.0μC is considered a negative charge.

4. How does a charge of -90.0μC affect an object's electric field?

A charge of -90.0μC will create an electric field that points towards the charge. The strength of the electric field will depend on the distance from the charge and the medium it is in.

5. Can a charge of -90.0μC be created naturally?

Yes, a charge of -90.0μC can be created naturally through various processes such as friction, induction, or separation of charges. For example, when you rub a balloon on your hair, the balloon becomes negatively charged with a charge of about -90.0μC.