How many of you held part-time jobs through college?

• Schools
  • Thread starter Chunkysalsa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College Jobs
In summary, the conversation was about holding a job while studying in college and the different experiences and opinions of those who have done it. Some people recommend against it due to the heavy workload and lack of free time, while others have successfully managed a job, a social life, and school. Some shared their own experiences and difficulties, such as having a long commute between work and school, while others offered suggestions for finding a job that allows for more time for studying.
Chunkysalsa
So I'm contemplating quitting my job to focus on my studies and I was wondering how many of you actually held jobs.

If so, then how many hours did you take at work? At school? and what major?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm holding a full-time job through college... I do not recommend it. 31 hours a week at work, 15 credits at school, physics major. I'm in my junior year, and I've had this schedule since I was a freshman, but I'm completely burnt out right now. Over 2 years with no free time at all is rough.

Jack21222 said:
I'm holding a full-time job through college... I do not recommend it. 31 hours a week at work, 15 credits at school, physics major. I'm in my junior year, and I've had this schedule since I was a freshman, but I'm completely burnt out right now. Over 2 years with no free time at all is rough.

Fully agreed.

I work 40 hours a week with about the same course load and same major. It isn't fun at all. Next semester I am going to drop the hours a bit. I am only able to solve homework problems and pass tests. Nothing gets looked at in depth. No time. :(

Although I could not imagine having no job at all. Seems like you'd have way too much time.

I work 20 hours a week with 16 credit hours. I find that I have enough time to do homework/study for exams/study the material -- however that's all that I have time to do.

I can't even comprehend the idea of not working, but that's a personal issue.

I'm currently working full-time, but I plan to go part-time next fall. My classes are getting more difficult, and I want to be able to devote more time to studying. My advice would be to feel it out; many people can successfully manage a job, a social life, and school, but that doesn't mean it will work for you.

I third that opinion: it really is hard.

I worked ~32 hours a week as a research technician, and took anywhere from zero to three classes a quarter. Really, really tough, especially the upper division classes.

It didn't help that my work and school were about an hour apart. The job paid far above minimum wage, with full benefits. There was no school closer. So I didn't have much choice.

The upside: when I finally graduated, I was competing with other recent grads but I had 6 years of research lab experience.

Well I've been working about 20-30hrs since before senior year of high school with no problem. Only till recently I've been feeling the burn with physics and calc taking up a huge chunk of time.

Next semester I'm planning on doing Physics II, Calc 3, ODE, and Statics and I'm worried that I won't be able to handle all that without quitting. I'm not exactly a hardcore studier either. In fact till this year (sophomore year of college) I've never truly studied for anything.

I don't need to work either. I live at home and my only expenses (aside from extras) are gas and lunch. I don't pay for college either. My school is quite cheap and my family not so rich. Which means low tuition, big FA check. Add a decent scholarship to the mix and I make money going to school.

I held a part time job, 25 hours a week throughout undergraduate. It made time a little short, but I enjoyed it and it was nice to have some extra spending money.

You can probably get an on campus desk job if you had work-study. Otherwise, try small gas stations. You just sit at an empty counter and have all the time you need for homework, reading, or staring at the ceiling.

Related to How many of you held part-time jobs through college?

1. How common is it for students to have part-time jobs during college?

According to a study by the National Center for Education Statistics, about 43% of undergraduate students work part-time while enrolled in college.

2. What are the benefits of having a part-time job during college?

Holding a part-time job during college can provide students with valuable skills and experience, help cover living expenses and tuition costs, and allow for networking opportunities.

3. How many hours per week do students typically work in their part-time jobs?

The average number of hours worked by students with part-time jobs is around 19 hours per week, according to a report by the Georgetown University Center on Education and the Workforce.

4. Do students who work part-time have lower academic performance?

Studies have shown that students who work part-time while in college do not necessarily have lower academic performance. In fact, some students report that having a job helps them manage their time better and stay organized.

5. Are there certain types of part-time jobs that are more popular among college students?

Some of the most common types of part-time jobs held by college students include retail, food service, tutoring, and administrative positions. However, there is a wide range of part-time job opportunities available for students depending on their skills and interests.