How Many Revolutions Does a Proton Complete in a Cyclotron?

In summary, a cyclotron designed to accelerate protons has an outer radius of 0.477 m. The protons are emitted nearly at rest from a source at the center and are accelerated through 610 V each time they cross the gap between the dees. The dees are between the poles of an electromagnet where the field is 0.560 T. The cyclotron frequency can be found using the potential difference and the speed at which protons exit the cyclotron can be determined using the potential energy equation. The maximum kinetic energy of the protons can also be calculated. To find the number of revolutions a proton makes in the cyclotron, the linear speed and radius can be related using the equation a = v^2
andrew410
A cyclotron designed to accelerate protons has an outer radius of 0.477 m. The protons are emitted nearly at rest from a source at the center and are accelerated through 610 V each time they cross the gap between the dees. The dees are between the poles of an electromagnet where the field is 0.560 T.

(a) Find the cyclotron frequency.
(b) Find the speed at which protons exit the cyclotron.
(c) Find their maximum kinetic energy.
(d) How many revolutions does a proton make in the cyclotron?
(e) For what time interval does one proton accelerate?

So, I got the answer for parts a, b, and c. I'm stuck on part d though.
I know that I have to use the potential difference at this point in order to get the answer, but don't know how. I know the potential energy equals the charge of the proton times the potential difference, but don't know how to apply this to get the number of revs. Also, I changed the cyclotron frequency to rev/sec, but don't know what the time is.
I need some help putting the info together into an equation or something.
Please help, any help is great! thanks in advance ! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
youk now the radius of the cyclotron
you knwo the linear speed of the protons

relate the two using [tex] a = \frac{v^2}{r} = \omega^2 r [/tex]
what are the units of omega??

Note; this is one of MANY MANY approaches to this problem

Last edited:
You know the maximum kinetic energy. All the energy comes from being accelerated through the 610V(so every revolution the proton gains qV).

You know total energy gained. You know energy gained per revolution. So you should be able to get number of revolutions.

thx guys! :)

Related to How Many Revolutions Does a Proton Complete in a Cyclotron?

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is an invisible force that is created by moving electric charges. It is a region in space where magnetic forces can be detected and can influence the motion of other charged particles.

Why do we need to understand magnetic fields?

Magnetic fields are important in many aspects of our daily lives, from the functioning of electronic devices to the Earth's protective magnetic field. Understanding magnetic fields can also lead to advancements in technology and scientific research.

How are magnetic fields created?

Magnetic fields can be created by moving electric charges, such as the flow of electric current through a wire, or by the spin of charged particles, such as electrons. They can also be created by the magnetic properties of certain materials.

How are magnetic fields measured?

Magnetic fields are measured using a device called a magnetometer, which can detect and measure the strength and direction of a magnetic field. The unit of measurement for magnetic fields is the Tesla (T) or Gauss (G).

What are some real-life applications of magnetic fields?

Magnetic fields have a wide range of applications, including in motors and generators, medical imaging technologies like MRI, compasses for navigation, and in particle accelerators used in scientific research. They are also used in data storage devices such as hard drives and credit cards.