How much will the aluminum wire stretch under a 3.57 kg load?

• Thread starter Schu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stretch
In summary, there is a conversation discussing the amount of stretch an aluminum wire will experience when supporting a 3.57 kg mass. The formula used is Y = Fl/A(delta)l, with Y representing Young's Modulus for aluminum. One person originally came up with a result of 2572 m, but after checking the math, it was determined that the correct answer is approximately 0.4 mm.
Schu
How much will the aluminum stretch

a 3.57 kg mass is supported by an aluminum wire with a length of 2.43 m and a diameter of 2.01mm. How much will the wire stretch?
Young's Modolus for Al= 6.9 * 10^10

First get the cross sectional area of the Al

then plug it into the formula
Y = Fl/A(delta)l

I come out with like 2572 m which just doesn't seem right. Where am I going wrong? I have checked the math and averything is in m and kg.
HELP

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I found a result of 3.8830...10^-4m~.4mm.
delta(l)=(F*l)/(A*Y) with a force of mg=3.57kg(9.8m/s^2)=34.986N*m--->
F*l=34.986*2.43=85.01598 and A*Y=pi*((2.01/2)*10^-3)^2)(m^2)*(6.9*10^10)*(N/m^2)=218943.0113.. N ---->
delta(l)=85.01598N*m/218943.0113...N=3.8830...*10^-4m~.4mm
--->delta(l)~.4mm. I think you made a mistake somewhere,check everything again.

You see I also made a mistake in the units, when I wrote mg=34.986N*m, I think that we should be more careful.

wisky40

Schu said:
Y = Fl/A(delta)l
Nothing wrong with this formula, but you'll have to rearrange it to find [itex]\Delta L [/itex]:
[tex]\Delta L = \frac {L F}{Y A}[/tex]
I come out with like 2572 m which just doesn't seem right. Where am I going wrong? I have checked the math and averything is in m and kg.
I'm glad you realize that your answer doesn't make sense. The only thing to do is to show exactly what numbers you plugged in, so we can check for an error.

wisky40's answer of about 0.4 mm is correct.

I went through it again after rearranging the formula, I'm not sure why I got what I did before but I came out with about 3.88 mm

THanks for the help.

Related to How much will the aluminum wire stretch under a 3.57 kg load?

1. How does the material affect the amount of stretch?

The material of an object can greatly affect its ability to stretch. Materials that are more elastic, such as rubber or spandex, can stretch more than materials that are less elastic, like cotton or wool. The composition and structure of the material's fibers also play a role in how much it can stretch.

2. Is there a limit to how much an object can stretch?

Yes, there is a limit to how much an object can stretch. This is known as its elastic limit or yield point. Once this limit is reached, the material will no longer return to its original shape and may even break or tear. The elastic limit varies depending on the material and its composition.

3. How does the shape of an object affect its stretchability?

The shape of an object can also impact its stretchability. Objects with a thinner cross-section, such as a string or wire, can stretch more easily than objects with a larger cross-section, like a rubber band. The shape and size of the object also affect the distribution of forces and how they are applied, which can impact its stretchability.

4. Does the temperature affect how much an object can stretch?

Yes, the temperature can affect how much an object can stretch. Materials tend to become more flexible and easier to stretch at higher temperatures, and more rigid and less stretchable at lower temperatures. This is because temperature can alter the structure and properties of the material, affecting its ability to deform under force.

5. Can stretching an object too much cause permanent damage?

Yes, stretching an object too much can cause permanent damage. As mentioned before, every material has an elastic limit, and exceeding this limit can cause the material to permanently deform or even break. It is important to understand the properties of the material and its elasticity before stretching it to avoid causing permanent damage.