How much work is required to pump water from a cone-shaped reservoir?

In summary, the problem involves a right circular cone shaped reservoir filled with water and the task is to calculate the amount of work required to pump the water to a level 6ft above the top. The solution involves setting up an integral and considering the weight of the water and the distance it needs to be lifted against gravity. After correcting for a mistake in the calculation, the correct answer is found to be 62.4(25/16)π\int_{0}^{8}(6y^2-y^3)dy, which is equal to 0.
miglo

Homework Statement

a reservoir shaped like a right circular cone, point down, 20ft across the top and 8 ft deep, is full of water. how much work does it take to pump the water to a level 6ft above the top?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so i placed the cone with the point at the origin. then the ΔV= πr^2h
since the cone is 8 ft deep and has a radius of 10 ft, then the slope of the line of the side of the cone is (8/10)x or (4/5)x, so (5/4)y=x, therefore the radius will be (5/4)y
so then ΔV=π(25/16)y^2dy
the force required is then equal to the weight per unit volume*volume and my books says that water is 62.4lb/ft^3 so the force is 62.4(25/16)πy^2dy
then the ΔW=62.4(25/16)πy^2(6-y)dy since were pumping out 6ft of water?
so to calculate the total work i have to calculate 62.4(25/16)π[itex]\int_{0}^{8}(6y^2-y^3)dy[/itex], but this gives me 0 work done, and i don't see where i went wrong in setting up the integral, but i think it might be the limits of integration or the distance through which the force must act.

Physics news on Phys.org
work against gravity to lift mass element dm a height z is g.z.dm where dm = \rho dV

I read the question not that you are pumping out 6' of water but that you are pumping all the water "to a level 6' above the top". Thus the water in the top-most layer is raised 6', and the bit in the point has to be raised 8+6=14'.

yeah i realized it was 14 when i was working on it at the school library, but thanks for responding anyways

1. What is the definition of work done when pumping a reservoir?

The work done when pumping a reservoir refers to the physical effort and energy required to transfer a certain volume of fluid from one location to another, against the force of gravity and other resistances.

2. How is the work done calculated when pumping a reservoir?

The work done when pumping a reservoir can be calculated by multiplying the force required to move the fluid (measured in Newtons) by the distance the fluid is moved (measured in meters).

3. What factors can affect the amount of work done when pumping a reservoir?

The amount of work done when pumping a reservoir can be affected by various factors, including the height and distance the fluid is pumped, the type of pump used, the viscosity of the fluid, and the efficiency of the pumping system.

4. How does the work done when pumping a reservoir impact energy consumption?

The work done when pumping a reservoir directly correlates to the amount of energy consumed. The more work done, the more energy is required to power the pump and move the fluid, resulting in higher energy consumption.

5. Are there ways to reduce the work done when pumping a reservoir?

Yes, there are various ways to reduce the work done when pumping a reservoir, such as using more efficient pumps, optimizing the pumping system, and reducing the height and distance the fluid needs to be pumped. These measures can help decrease energy consumption and save costs.