How much work is required to pump all of the water to the top?

In summary, the question is asking for the work required to pump all the water to the top of the vessel, given that the vessel is filled with water to a depth of 1 foot. The equation for work is W = ∫F dx, where F is the force and dx is the distance. We can calculate the force using the equation F = Pressure * V, where Pressure is calculated using the equation Pressure = density * g * depth and V is the volume of water. By using similar triangles, we can find the volume to be 7.5yΔy. Combining these equations, we get F = (611.52y)(7.5y)Δy. The final integral in terms of y
IntegrateMe
Consider the vessel. It is filled to a depth of 1 foot of water. Write an integral in terms of y (the distance from the bottom) for the work required to pump all the water to the top of the vessel. Water weights 62.4 lbs/ft3.

Relevant Equations
W = ∫F dx
Pressure = density * g * depth
F = Pressure * V

Attempt

P = 62.4 * 9.8 * y = 611.52y

Based on similar triangles, I was able to get a width of (3/2)y. Thus, the volume becomes:

V = 5*(3/2)y*Δy = 7.5yΔy

So the force is F = (611.52y)(7.5y)Δy

I stopped here because I wasn't sure about my work. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

Yes, what you have done so far is correct. It would have been better to continue with what you think is correct rather than wait until someone confirms that.

And don't expect someone to respond within 30 minutes. If you continue to "bump" so soon, you may be banned from this forum.

HallsofIvy, the answer I have is actually incorrect based on the final solution offered, which is:

[tex]\int_0^1 5(\frac{3}{2}y)(62.4)(2-y)dy[/tex]

Obviously, my solution does not match this one, which is why I stopped at the force and decided to post here.

Last edited:
Think about how high you need to lift (pump) each layer of water. The incremental work is the weight (a force) of a typical layer of water times the distance it has to be lifted.

Awesome explanation Mark. Very concise and, perhaps more importantly, easy to understand. I truly appreciate it. Thank you!

You're welcome!

1. How is work defined in this scenario?

In this scenario, work is defined as the force required to move the water from the bottom to the top. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied (in this case, the force required to pump the water) by the distance over which the force is applied.

2. What factors affect the amount of work required to pump all the water to the top?

The amount of work required to pump all the water to the top is affected by several factors, including the volume of water to be pumped, the distance the water needs to be pumped, the efficiency of the pumping mechanism, and the force required to overcome any resistance in the system.

3. Can the amount of work required be reduced?

Yes, the amount of work required can be reduced by increasing the efficiency of the pumping mechanism, reducing any resistance in the system, or by using a more powerful force to pump the water.

4. How can we calculate the amount of work required?

The amount of work required can be calculated using the formula W = F x d, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance. In this scenario, the force would be the force required to pump the water, and the distance would be the height from the bottom to the top of the pump.

5. Is the amount of work required the same for all types of pumps?

No, the amount of work required can vary depending on the type of pump used. Some pumps may be more efficient and require less work to pump the same volume of water to the top, while others may require more work due to factors such as resistance or distance.