How Natural Rubber (NR) reacts with sulfur?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's experience as a mechanical engineer in a pump factory and their question regarding the reaction of natural rubber with sulfur. They also mention the use of vulcanization and a compatibility chart for elastomeric materials. The speaker suggests consulting with elastomer product suppliers for reliable information on compatibility issues.
ron_adigross
Hello
My name is ron and i am a mechanical engineering in pump factory.
In some project i work on, i have fluent that contains sulfur (less then 10 %).
my question is how natural rubber react with sulfur?
and if its currect to use natural rubber?
thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
http://www.minorrubber.com/compatibility-chart.html

This shows sulfur in general but does not address your low percentage case specifically. But as someone that dealt with multiple elastomeric material seal compatibility issues for chemical plants for many years, the only truly reliable sources for compatibility issues are the elastomer products suppliers.

1. What is the reaction between natural rubber and sulfur called?

The reaction between natural rubber and sulfur is called vulcanization. This process was discovered in the 19th century by Charles Goodyear and involves heating rubber with sulfur to create a stronger and more durable material.

2. What is the purpose of adding sulfur to natural rubber?

The addition of sulfur to natural rubber helps to improve its properties, such as elasticity, strength, and resistance to heat and chemicals. It also helps to prevent the rubber from becoming brittle and cracking over time.

3. How does the amount of sulfur affect the properties of natural rubber?

The amount of sulfur added to natural rubber can have a significant impact on its properties. A higher amount of sulfur will result in a harder and more rigid rubber, while a lower amount will result in a softer and more flexible rubber.

4. Are there any environmental concerns with the reaction between natural rubber and sulfur?

While the reaction between natural rubber and sulfur is essential for the production of many rubber products, it can also have negative impacts on the environment. The process can release sulfur dioxide, a harmful gas, into the air. However, modern vulcanization processes have reduced these emissions through the use of closed systems and scrubbers.

5. Can natural rubber be vulcanized without using sulfur?

Yes, natural rubber can be vulcanized using alternative methods, such as peroxide curing or radiation curing. These methods are often used for specific applications, such as in the production of medical or food-grade rubber products, where the presence of sulfur is not desirable.