How qualified would I be for EE as a math major?

In summary: Just be sure that you meet and do well in all the engineering degree requirements. Then you will be ahead of the game.
PGClark
I am currently a freshman majoring in electrical engineering and minoring in mathematics about to go into my sophomore year. While I enjoy the engineering aspect, I've found that what I've enjoyed most is the basic analysis in my proofs class and the basic topology my professor mentioned while discussing vector fields in Calc 3.

Since I've already registered for classes next semester, it would be too late to switch. However, I plan on pursuing an emphasis in electrical engineering. I do like the problem-solving aspect, but would also like to be able to study mathematics at a more advanced level. My plan is to take sequences in abstract algebra and real analysis, as well as classes in topics on the applied side such as computation and numerical solutions to ODEs.

I would already be taking classes in Physics 1, Physics 2, EE 201, Signals and Circuits, and Electrical Networks. How qualified would I be to work as an engineer with this program of study? If not, since I would have an extra semester, what sort of classes should I be taking in addition?

Physics news on Phys.org
Additional math courses will never be wasted in an engineering career. Just be sure that you meet and do well in all the engineering degree requirements. Then you will be ahead of the game.

Likes Dr. Courtney
Just to be clear, is your plan is to drop the EE major and switch to math? If so, there is nothing wrong with making such a switch but you shouldn't expect to be particularly qualified to work as an EE. If you really want to be qualified for an EE job, get the EE degree.

PGClark said:
I would already be taking classes in Physics 1, Physics 2, EE 201, Signals and Circuits, and Electrical Networks. How qualified would I be to work as an engineer with this program of study?
Would these three EE courses be the only ones you would take? If so, that is a weak EE background. By the way, "EE 201" means nothing to those of us who are not in your department. What does it cover?

jason

Dr.D said:
Additional math courses will never be wasted in an engineering career. Just be sure that you meet and do well in all the engineering degree requirements. Then you will be ahead of the game.

Yep.

If you're looking for math-intensive areas of Electrical Engineering, you could go into EM/Optics type of stuff or Signals and Systems, which is all math.

1. What skills from my math major would transfer to electrical engineering?

As a math major, you have likely developed strong analytical and problem-solving skills, which are essential in electrical engineering. Your knowledge of calculus, linear algebra, and statistics can also be applied to various areas in EE, such as circuit analysis and signal processing.

2. Do I need to have prior knowledge of electrical engineering to be qualified as a math major?

No, it is not necessary to have prior knowledge of EE to be qualified as a math major. However, having a basic understanding of physics and electromagnetism can be helpful in understanding some concepts in EE.

3. Can I pursue a career in electrical engineering with a math degree?

Yes, many math majors go on to have successful careers in electrical engineering. Your strong mathematical background and problem-solving skills make you a valuable asset in this field. Some universities even offer joint programs where you can earn a degree in both math and EE.

4. Are there any specific courses I should take as a math major to prepare for a career in EE?

While there are no specific courses required, taking courses in differential equations, complex analysis, and numerical methods can be beneficial for a career in EE. Additionally, courses in computer programming and circuit analysis can provide a strong foundation for understanding EE concepts.

5. What job opportunities are available for math majors in the field of electrical engineering?

Math majors can pursue a variety of job opportunities in the field of electrical engineering, such as circuit design, data analysis, and research and development. You can also work in industries such as telecommunications, renewable energy, and electronics manufacturing.