How Should I Schedule these classes?

In summary, the speaker has completed most of their general studies and only has 7 hours of general electives and 3 hours of undergraduate research left. They plan to take Linear Algebra to fulfill the requirements for a minor in Industrial and Applied Mathematics, but are unsure about their second general elective. They also mention not needing to do the research due to a balloon project, and plan to take "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" in the fall and "Electricity and Magnetism" and "Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics" in the spring. They are unsure about which courses to take for the remaining 6 hours required for their physics degree and express concern about being able to graduate in the spring due to the difficulty of taking 9 hours of advanced
grandpa2390
I actually switched to physics late in my career, so my general studies and all is pretty much complete. All I have left is:
7 hours General Electives (6 if they count the unneeded 1 hour science lab i took with the required biology )
3 hours of Undergraduate Research (But they offer a 2 semester La-aces program that is much more fun and fills the requirement)
3 hours "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" offered in Fall
3 hours "Electricity and Magnetism" offered in Spring and possibly in the fall
3 hours "Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics"
6 hours Physics at 3000+ level

ok so here is what I am thinking:
1. I think I should take Linear Algebra to fulfill the requirements to get a minor in Industrial and Applied Mathematics.
2. I am not sure what I should do for the other General Elective. Any recommendations?
3. Don't need to do the research since I will be doing the balloon project thing.
4. Quantum in the fall
5. Electricity and magnetism in Spring along with
6. Thermodynamics
7. Not sure what to take here. The course offered are: http://www.chegg.com/courses/uno/PHYS
8. Not sure what to take here. The courses offered are: http://www.chegg.com/courses/uno/PHYSSo in reality I only need 21 hours. They are all pretty much going to be Math and Advanced Physics (except perhaps that general elective).
My goal is that I would currently like to graduate in the Spring, apply to the program to get my Masters in Education and be a high school Physics/Science teacher. But I am not sure how likely I will be graduating in the Spring.
Just looking at the hours, it is 2 semesters. But the fact that at least 15 of those 21 hours are in Intermediate and Advanced Physics courses... I am not so sure if it will be possible.

Is taking 9 hours of advanced Physics courses in one semester achievable? if not, how many semesters should it likely take for me to graduate. Also what 2 Physics courses at 3000 & 4000 level should I be hoping to take? perhaps maybe which 2 would be easiest to do along side Quantum or E&M/Thermo?

Physics news on Phys.org
How strong is your math? E & M will require vector calculus to understand Maxwell's equations? And statistical physics will require some calculus and statistical knowledge. I can't remember much as I took these courses a long long time ago.

If you talk to your advisor maybe they can reduce the general electives from courses you took already. I remember doing that when they allowed a language course in Chinese for one of my liberal arts electives which allowed to graduate early. I remember writing a letter explaining why I thought that Chinese had expanded my cultural knowledge and they agreed,

jedishrfu said:
How strong is your math? E & M will require vector calculus to understand Maxwell's equations? And statistical physics will require some calculus and statistical knowledge. I can't remember much as I took these courses a long long time ago.

If you talk to your advisor maybe they can reduce the general electives from courses you took already. I remember doing that when they allowed a language course in Chinese for one of my liberal arts electives which allowed to graduate early. I remember writing a letter explaining why I thought that Chinese had expanded my cultural knowledge and they agreed,

Multivariable was quite a few years ago. But I would be taking it next to Intro to Quantum. do you think these two could go together?
Thermo / Stat Mech is offered in the spring.

1. What factors should I consider when scheduling my classes?

When scheduling your classes, there are a few key factors to consider. First, make sure to prioritize your required courses and any prerequisites. You should also consider your personal preferences and scheduling constraints, such as your preferred learning style, work schedule, and transportation options. It's also important to think about the workload and difficulty level of each class, as well as the potential for class conflicts.

2. Should I spread out my classes or take them all in one day?

This ultimately depends on your individual preferences and learning style. Some students prefer to spread out their classes throughout the week to avoid feeling overwhelmed, while others prefer to have longer days with more breaks in between. It may also depend on the specific class schedule and availability. Consider what works best for you and your schedule.

3. How many classes should I take per semester?

This can vary depending on your personal circumstances and the specific requirements of your degree program. Generally, full-time students take around 12-15 credit hours per semester, while part-time students take fewer. It's important to consider your workload and other commitments outside of school when determining how many classes to take.

4. Is it better to take morning or afternoon classes?

Again, this ultimately depends on your personal preferences and schedule. Some students are more alert in the morning and prefer to take classes then, while others are more productive in the afternoon or evening. It's also worth considering any potential conflicts with other commitments, such as work or extracurricular activities.

5. What if the classes I need are only offered at the same time?

If you encounter a time conflict with required classes, it's best to speak with an academic advisor or the instructor of the course. They may be able to provide alternative solutions, such as an independent study or online course, to fulfill the requirement. It's important to address any time conflicts as soon as possible to avoid any potential issues or delays in your academic progress.