How the compute the pullback of a differential form

In summary, to compute the pullback of dw using the formula provided on Wikipedia, you would first use the composition dw(\phi(t,u,v)) to get the function (v+t)u. Then, using the property \phi^*(dw)=d(\phi^*(w)), you can take the exterior derivative of \phi^*(w) to get (v+t)u. This can then be calculated using the formula \phi^*(dw)=\frac{\partial}{\partial t}((v+t)u)dt+\frac{\partial}{\partial u}((v+t)u)du+\frac{\partial}{\partial v}((v+t)u)dv.
logarithmic
If there's a function, [tex]\phi(t,u,v)=((v+t)u,t,u,v) =: (w,x,y,z)[/tex]. How do I compute the pullback of dw: [tex]\phi^*(dw)[/tex]?

I think what you do is: [tex]\phi^*(dw)=\frac{\partial}{\partial t}((v+t)u)dt+\frac{\partial}{\partial u}((v+t)u)du+\frac{\partial}{\partial v}((v+t)u)dv[/tex].

Is that correct?

This is using the formula for the pullback. A version can be found on wikipedia here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_form#Pullback (Look at the 2nd last equation in the Pullback section).

Can someone explain how the composition in that formula works, and how it's used in my answer above? Here that composition would be [tex]dw(\phi(t,u,v))[/tex]. What would that equal?

I think another reason the answer I gave works is because of the fact [tex]\phi^*(dw)=d(\phi^*(w))[/tex], and [tex]\phi^*(w)=w(\phi(t,u,v))[/tex]. Somehow, this equals (v+t)u (but how?) and we then take the exterior derivative.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any help please?

Related to How the compute the pullback of a differential form

1. What is the pullback of a differential form?

The pullback of a differential form is a mathematical operation that allows us to transform a differential form defined on one manifold to a differential form defined on a different manifold, using a smooth map between the two manifolds.

2. Why is the pullback of a differential form important?

The pullback of a differential form is important because it allows us to study geometric properties of a manifold by considering its pullback on a different manifold. This is particularly useful in applications such as physics and engineering, where different coordinate systems are often used to describe the same underlying space.

3. How is the pullback of a differential form computed?

The pullback of a differential form is computed by composing the differential form with the smooth map between the two manifolds. This involves taking the derivative of the map and applying it to the coefficients of the differential form.

4. What is the relationship between the pullback and pushforward of a differential form?

The pullback and pushforward of a differential form are inverse operations. The pullback takes a differential form from one manifold to another, while the pushforward takes a differential form from one tangent space to another. Together, they allow us to study the behavior of a differential form as we move between different manifolds.

5. Can the pullback of a differential form be defined for non-smooth maps?

No, the pullback of a differential form is only defined for smooth maps between manifolds. Smoothness is necessary to ensure that the pullback operation is well-defined and does not lead to any inconsistencies. However, there are generalizations of the pullback for non-smooth maps, such as the notion of a distributional pullback.