How to calculate a harmonic of a square wave

In summary, a newbie to additive synthesis wanted to calculate the 5th harmonic of a square wave with a fundamental frequency of 200Hz and an amplitude of 1. They were unsure of the correct calculation, but it would be 1/9 * sin (2 * 3.14 * 9F * t) and 't' represents time. They were also reminded to include a 4/pi in their formula for a square wave of unity amplitude.
bigfattyfatfat
Hi,

I'm a bit of a newbie to additive synthesis.. I just want to clarify that I am doing the correct calculation before continuing.

If I wanted to calculate the 5th harmonic of a square wave (the fundamental freq. being 200Hz and the amplitude of the fundamental being 1)

would the calculation be

1/5 * sin (2 * 3.14 * 1000) =

?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
there's a 4/pi and a "t" missing in there somewhere ...

other than that, yes.

Thanks.

Actually I've just realized the 5th harmonic would be 9, so it would be

1/9 * sin (2 * 3.14 * 9F * t) =

But do you know what the 't' is equal to?

Thanks

bigfattyfatfat said:
Thanks.

Actually I've just realized the 5th harmonic would be 9, so it would be

1/9 * sin (2 * 3.14 * 9F * t) =

But do you know what the 't' is equal to?

Thanks

No, convention is that the nth harmonic is harmonically related to the first (the fundamental) by fn = n*f1.

"t" is time. You have a square wave that is a summation of harmonics, each of which is also a function of time (a sinusoidal one).

You still don't have a 4/π in your formulas ... you need it to get a square wave of unity amplitude.

for any help!

Hello,

Thank you for your question. To calculate the 5th harmonic of a square wave, you would need to use the formula 1/n * sin(n * 2 * pi * f), where n is the harmonic number and f is the fundamental frequency. In this case, n = 5 and f = 200 Hz. So the calculation would be 1/5 * sin(5 * 2 * pi * 200) = 1/5 * sin(2000 * pi) = 0.2 * sin(2000 * pi). This would give you the amplitude of the 5th harmonic of the square wave. I hope this helps and feel free to ask any further questions. Good luck with your additive synthesis!

1. How do you calculate the fundamental frequency of a square wave?

The fundamental frequency of a square wave can be calculated by taking the reciprocal of the period, which is the time it takes for one complete cycle of the wave.

2. What is the formula for calculating harmonics of a square wave?

The formula for calculating harmonics of a square wave is n * fundamental frequency, where n is the order of the harmonic.

3. How do you determine the order of a harmonic in a square wave?

The order of a harmonic in a square wave can be determined by dividing the frequency of the harmonic by the fundamental frequency. The resulting quotient will be the order of the harmonic.

4. Can harmonics of a square wave have different amplitudes?

Yes, harmonics of a square wave can have different amplitudes. In fact, the amplitudes of harmonics decrease as the order of the harmonic increases, following a specific pattern known as the harmonic series.

5. Is there a limit to the number of harmonics in a square wave?

Technically, there is no limit to the number of harmonics in a square wave. However, in practical applications, the number of harmonics considered is typically limited to a certain value based on the accuracy and precision required for the specific analysis or experiment.