How to calculate a pump's operating point for a fully open control valve

In summary, to calculate the flow rate and differential pressure for a centrifugal pump with a single control valve, you need to plot a system curve for the valve and compare it to the pump curve. This can be done graphically or by using a function to describe the pump curve. The system curve should include all significant losses in the system, such as friction factor or K factor for fittings.
fonz
TL;DR Summary
How to calculate the flow rate and pressure of a centrifugal pump through a fully open valve.
How do you calculate the flow rate and differential pressure (the operating point on the pump curve) for a centrifugal pump if all of the flow is through a single control valve with known ##C_V##, discharging to atmosphere?

Clearly the flow rate and differential pressure of the pump will be some point on the pump curve to match the flow and pressure drop across the valve. As the ##C_V## increases, that point will move further down the curve i.e. more flow at less pressure drop. It is easy enough to calculate the flow rate through a valve for a known pressure drop and ##C_V##, but if only the ##C_V## is known I struggle to work this out.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
The traditional way to do this is graphically. You have a pump curve from the manufacturer and can plot a 'system curve' for your valve (at any single fixed Cv). Where they intersect is your operating point. It is possible to 'calculate' the intersection, but you'll need to come up with a function to describe the pump curve. Don't forget any other significant (plumbing, filters, etc) losses in your system curve.

Likes fonz, ChemAir and russ_watters
Thanks for the reply that is very helpful. On most system curves I have seen the friction factor is used or K factor for fittings etc. Do I just add the head loss due to Cv directly from the flow rate equation for a valve or do I need to convert to a K factor first?

If I understand your question:
You need to create a 'pressure vs flow' curve for every system component that you want to consider. The 'net' system curve is the sum of those component curves. If you have Cv, use that to produce the curve; If you have K factor, use that - either will give you pressure as a function of flow.

1. How do I determine the operating point for a fully open control valve?

The operating point for a fully open control valve can be determined by using the pump's performance curve and the system's head curve. The intersection of these two curves will give you the operating point, which represents the flow rate and head that the pump will produce at full open valve position.

2. What is the significance of the operating point for a pump with a fully open control valve?

The operating point is important because it represents the maximum flow rate and head that the pump can produce at full open valve position. This information is crucial for selecting the right pump for a specific system and ensuring optimal performance.

3. How does the operating point change with different valve positions?

The operating point will change as the valve position is adjusted. As the valve closes, the flow rate will decrease and the head will increase, resulting in a different operating point. It is important to understand the relationship between valve position and operating point in order to properly control the pump.

4. Can the operating point be calculated for a partially open control valve?

Yes, the operating point can be calculated for a partially open control valve. However, the process is more complex as it involves adjusting the valve position and recalculating the operating point for each position. It is recommended to consult a pump expert for assistance with this calculation.

5. How can I use the operating point to optimize my pump's performance?

By understanding the operating point, you can select a pump that is best suited for your system's flow and head requirements. Additionally, you can adjust the valve position to control the pump's flow rate and head, ensuring that it operates at its most efficient point. Regularly monitoring and adjusting the operating point can help optimize the pump's performance and save energy costs.