How to Calculate Heater Gain for a Boiler?

In summary, the conversation is about designing a system using PID to control the temperature of water in a boiler. The person does not have experience with heat transfer or thermodynamics and does not have the datasheet of the heater. It is mentioned that immersion heaters with integrated temperature control systems are available and that designing one on their own is not recommended for safety reasons.
Jayanth D
Hi

I am an electronics and communication engineer and hence doesn't know about heat transfer or termodynamics.

I need to design a system using PID where I need to control the temperature of water in a boiler by controlling AC power to boiler heater.

I don't have the datasheet of the heater. I want to find out the gain of the heater and boiler (with water). How to do this ?

Heater is 1KW.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't quite understand . Immersion heaters with integrated temperature control systems are readily available at low cost . All you have to do is install them correctly and turn them on .

Tell us more about what you are doing ?

Boiler design and boiler control design are the subject of numerous safety codes. You should not be designing one on an ad hoc basis.

Jayanth D said:
Hi

I am an electronics and communication engineer and hence doesn't know about heat transfer or termodynamics.

I need to design a system using PID where I need to control the temperature of water in a boiler by controlling AC power to boiler heater.

I don't have the datasheet of the heater. I want to find out the gain of the heater and boiler (with water). How to do this ?

Heater is 1KW.
As already mentioned, there are standard units that do this already, and designing one on your own is not for someone who does not have experience with such systems and their safety. If you still want to discuss this in this thread, PM me and we can discuss what is necessary for the thread to be re-opened.

1. What is heater gain?

Heater gain is a measure of the amount of heat produced by a heater, typically measured in watts.

2. How do I calculate heater gain?

To calculate heater gain, you need to know the power of the heater in watts and the efficiency of the heater. Multiply the power by the efficiency to get the heater gain in watts.

3. What factors affect heater gain?

The factors that affect heater gain include the power of the heater, the efficiency of the heater, the type of heating element, the size and material of the heating element, and the ambient temperature.

4. How do I measure heater gain?

To measure heater gain, you can use a watt meter or a multimeter to measure the power of the heater. You can also measure the temperature rise caused by the heater and use the specific heat capacity of the material to calculate the heater gain.

5. Why is it important to know the heater gain?

Knowing the heater gain is important for several reasons. It helps you determine the appropriate size of heater for your space, ensures efficient use of energy, and can help you troubleshoot any issues with your heating system.