How to calculate the composition of pullbacks and pushforwards?

• Thread starter Eclair_de_XII
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Composition
In summary: R}^n##, and covectors are functions from a vector space into itself. So maybe you could clarify what ##\omega## is supposed to do in this context?
Eclair_de_XII

Homework Statement

"If ##f:\mathbb{R}^n \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^m## and ##g:\mathbb{R}^m\rightarrow \mathbb{R}^p##, show that ##(g\circ f)_*=g_*\circ f_*## and ##(g\circ f)^* = f^* \circ g^*##."

Homework Equations

Pushforward: ##f_*(v_a)=(Df(a)(v))_{f(a)}##
Pullback: ##f^*(\omega)(a)(v_a)=\omega(f(a))(f_*(v_a))=\omega(f(a))(Df(a)(v))_{f(a)}##

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my attempt for the first part:

##(g\circ f)_*(v_a)=(D(g\circ f)(a)(v))_{(g\circ f)(a)}=(Dg(f(a))Df(a)(v))_{g(f(a))}##

I don't know how to proceed from here, and I'm pretty sure that the subscript on the last term in my expression is wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Eclair_de_XII said:

Homework Statement

"If ##f:\mathbb{R}^n \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^m## and ##g:\mathbb{R}^m\rightarrow \mathbb{R}^p##, show that ##(g\circ f)_*=g_*\circ f_*## and ##(g\circ f)^* = f^* \circ g^*##."

Homework Equations

Pushforward: ##f_*(v_a)=(Df(a)(v))_{f(a)}##
Pullback: ##f^*(\omega)(a)(v_a)=\omega(f(a))(f_*(v_a))=\omega(f(a))(Df(a)(v))_{f(a)}##

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my attempt for the first part:

##(g\circ f)_*(v_a)=(D(g\circ f)(a)(v))_{(g\circ f)(a)}=(Dg(f(a))Df(a)(v))_{g(f(a))}##

I don't know how to proceed from here, and I'm pretty sure that the subscript on the last term in my expression is wrong.
You're done with the pushforwards.
##(g\circ f)_*(v_a)=(D(g\circ f)(a)(v_a))_{(g\circ f)(a)}=\underbrace{(Dg(f(a))_{g(f(a))}}_{g_*}) ( \underbrace{Df(a))_{f(a)}}_{f_*} )(v_a)##

Okay, so I have for pullback:

##(f\circ g)^*(\omega)(a)(v_a)=\omega((f\circ g)(a))((f\circ g)_*(v_a))=\omega(f(g(a)))(Dg(f(a))_{g(f(a))})(Df(a))_{f(a)}##

Sorry, I don't know how to proceed for this one, as well.

Let me first add a remark on your first solution. You have a bit too many, i.e. unnecessary notations of the point of evaluation. Usually students don't realize, that they actually talk about ##f\,'(x)_{x=c}## when they write ##f\,'(x)##. Your notation not only avoids this mistake, you doubled the avoidance.

##D## is the differential operator. It applies to functions ##f##. The result is a tangent (vector space) bundle, which when evaluated at a certain point, turns into a specific tangent (vector) space, which we denote by ##Df(a)=D_af##. To write ##D_a(f)(a)## is a double which might confuse readers. Now since our functions are multidimensional, we have tangents in various directions ##v##. A tangent in direction of ##v## at a point ##a## is therefore ##D_af(v)=D_af \cdot v## since our approximation by tangents is a linear operator, a (matrix) multiplication by ##v##. In sum we have:
  • ##Df =D(f)## = tangent (vector space) bundle: all tangent spaces at all possible locations
  • ##D_af=D_a(f)## = tangent space at a specific point of evaluation ##a##, a certain tangent space from the bundle; vector space because or tangents have more than one possible direction, as our function is multidimensional, and so are its tangents
  • ##D_af(v)=D_a(f)(v)=D_af \cdot v## = tangent from our tangent (vector) space at ##a## in direction ##v##
Thus your notation ##f_*(v_a)=(Df(a)(v))_{f(a)}## is a bit overloaded. Better is ##f_*(a)(v)=(D_af)(v)=D_af \cdot v## or even shorter ##f_*(a)=D_af\,.## To write ##f(a)## in the index is already confusing. E.g. for ##f\, : \,x \longmapsto x^2## we write ##f\,'(a)=\left. \dfrac{d}{dx}\right|_{x=a}f## and not ##f\,'(a)=\left. \dfrac{d}{dx}\right|_{a^2}f\,.##

If you find time, you might want to read this little series: https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/the-pantheon-of-derivatives-i/
(Vector fields start in part 2, pullbacks in part 3)

Last edited:
Eclair_de_XII said:
Okay, so I have for pullback:

##(f\circ g)^*(\omega)(a)(v_a)=\omega((f\circ g)(a))((f\circ g)_*(v_a))=\omega(f(g(a)))(Dg(f(a))_{g(f(a))})(Df(a))_{f(a)}##

Sorry, I don't know how to proceed for this one, as well.
First let's drop all variables which are not needed. We have to show that ##(f\circ g)^*(\omega) = g^*(f^*(\omega))##. I suggest to start with the expression on the right, and if you like, you can appoint evaluation points and directions afterwards. You should first draw a diagram to see which function maps from where to where, in order to avoid mistake.

Okay, I'm a bit confused on what ##\omega## is supposed to be in this context. From what I've learned, it's a covector field that assigns to each ##a\in T_a\mathbb{R}^n## a real number. But it can't be right, since ##f^*## is a function from ##\mathbb{R}^m\rightarrow \mathbb{R}^n##.

Eclair_de_XII said:
Okay, I'm a bit confused on what ##\omega## is supposed to be in this context. From what I've learned, it's a covector field that assigns to each ##a\in T_a\mathbb{R}^n## a real number. But it can't be right, since ##f^*## is a function from ##\mathbb{R}^m\rightarrow \mathbb{R}^n##.
If you have your manifolds to be ##\mathbb{R}^n##, then it's difficult to see what is manifold and what is a tangent vector or covector.

For more clarity, let's say we have a smooth function ##f\, : \,M \longrightarrow N##. Now ##\omega_q## assigns a real number to every tangent at ##q\in N##, i.e. ##\omega_q\, : \,T_qN \longrightarrow \mathbb{R}## and ##\omega_q## is an element of the dual vector space of ##T_qN##. The differential form ##\omega## now is the function ##\omega\, : \,N \longrightarrow (T_{(.)}N)^*##, i.e. point to cotangent.

This means ##\omega_b(v_b)\in \mathbb{R}##. We have two functions here. Firstly we have ##\omega## which assigns a cotangent space to a point of ##b \in N\, : \,\omega(b)=\omega_b \in (T_bN)^*##. Secondly, this image ##\omega_b## is itself a function, since cotangent means the dual space of linear maps ##T_bN \longrightarrow \mathbb{R}##, so ##\omega_b(v_b) \in \mathbb{R}##. And to make confusion complete, we now consider points ##a=f(b)\in M## since we want to pull back ##\omega## along ##f## to have the analog situation on ##M##.

That was what I meant by: Draw a diagram to make clear where you are at a certain point in the formula!
$$((f^*(\omega))_{a})(v_a)=\omega_{f(a)}(f_*(v_a))=\omega_{f(a)}(D_af(v_a))\in \mathbb{R}$$
Have a look in https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/pantheon-derivatives-part-iii/ section Cotangents and 1-Forms
What we have here is basically the transpose (##{.}^\tau##) of the Jacobian matrix at a certain point and you are requested to show that
$$(J_x \cdot J_y)^\tau=J_y^\tau \cdot J_x^\tau$$
since for ##A\, : \,V\longrightarrow W## we get ##A^\tau\, : \,W^*\longrightarrow V^*## where ##V^*=\operatorname{Hom}(V,\mathbb{R})##.
It's linear algebra.

1. What are pullbacks and pushforwards?

Pullbacks and pushforwards are mathematical concepts used to calculate the composition of functions. They are often used in the field of topology and algebraic geometry to study the relationship between different spaces or structures.

2. How do you calculate the composition of pullbacks and pushforwards?

To calculate the composition of pullbacks and pushforwards, you first need to understand the basic operations involved. Pullbacks involve mapping an object from one space to another space, while pushforwards involve mapping an object from one space to another space. The composition is then calculated by applying these operations in a specific order.

3. What is the purpose of calculating pullbacks and pushforwards?

The purpose of calculating pullbacks and pushforwards is to understand the relationship between different spaces or structures. It allows us to study how objects are transformed when they are mapped from one space to another, and how these transformations affect their properties.

4. Can pullbacks and pushforwards be applied to any type of function?

Yes, pullbacks and pushforwards can be applied to any type of function, as long as the functions involved are compatible with the operations of pullbacks and pushforwards. This means that the functions must be defined on the appropriate spaces and have the necessary properties to allow for composition.

5. Are there any real-world applications of pullbacks and pushforwards?

Yes, there are several real-world applications of pullbacks and pushforwards. They are commonly used in physics, engineering, and computer science to study the behavior of systems and simulate their transformations. They are also used in economics and finance to analyze the relationships between different markets and assets.