How to change pulley direction?

In summary, the person is looking for assistance in changing the setup of pulleys for their airer. They want to move the fixture from the side wall to the back wall or outside corner of the room. They are looking for a simple setup where the airer can still move up and down with a 90 degree angle. The easiest solution suggested is to interchange pulleys 2 and 3 and possibly mount pulley 2 at an angle.
Huncut
TL;DR Summary
I need to change a set of pulleys pull direction. What would be the easiest set up.
Hello Guys,

Maybe someone can be at my assistance in this one.

I have a similar airer as on the attached picture and i would like to change a set up of pulleys and possibly to add some more of them, in a way that I do not want to pull it down by the side wall anymore.
Instead, I would prefer if its fixure (No.: 4 on the attached picture) was to attached to the back wall or outside of the corner of the room a little bit. On the picture this is a corner of a room and the pulley are hanging from the ceiling. This existing set up is very simple but the only way to move the structure up and down if I pull the cord down or towards the side wall. This is what I'd like to change to a 90 degrees angle meaning I pull it towards myself or with a helper pulley downwards. Be careful, the airer still only allowed to move up and down.
Could anyone skech some simple set up where it would work and make sense to change it as it would be not too complicated.

Thanks.

Regards,

Istvan

Attachments

• fregoli.jpg
    fregoli.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 515
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello Huncut, :welcome: !

Huncut said:
I would prefer if its fixure (No.: 4 on the attached picture) was to attached to the back wall
From this I deduce the side wall is the one on the right. And the back wall is to the left.

Easiest solution is to interchange pulleys 2 and 3. With 4 on the back wall perhaps 2 can be mounted at an angle half way so the ropes do not run off pulley 2 ?

1. How can I change the direction of a pulley?

To change the direction of a pulley, you will need to rotate the pulley in the opposite direction of its current rotation. This can be achieved by either flipping the pulley over or using a belt or chain to connect the pulley to another pulley that is rotating in the desired direction.

2. Can I change the direction of a pulley without changing the belt or chain?

Yes, it is possible to change the direction of a pulley without changing the belt or chain. This can be done by using a pulley with a different number of grooves or teeth, which will alter the ratio of the pulley and change the direction of rotation.

3. How do I know which pulley direction is best for my machine?

The best pulley direction for your machine will depend on the specific application and the desired output. In general, a larger pulley will provide more torque and a smaller pulley will provide more speed. It is important to consider the load and power requirements of your machine before determining the best pulley direction.

4. What tools do I need to change the direction of a pulley?

The tools needed to change the direction of a pulley will depend on the specific pulley and its mounting system. In most cases, you will need a wrench or socket set to loosen and tighten bolts, and possibly a pulley puller to remove the pulley from its shaft. It is important to consult the manufacturer's instructions for the specific tools needed for your pulley.

5. Can I change the direction of a pulley on my own?

Yes, it is possible to change the direction of a pulley on your own. However, it is important to have a basic understanding of pulley systems and the proper tools and safety precautions before attempting to change the direction of a pulley. If you are unsure or uncomfortable, it is best to consult a professional for assistance.