How to determine the wavefunction of photons?

In summary: I don't think the nonrelativistic Schrödinger equation is of any use in describing massless particles.
Mathfan7
Hi,

I'm sorry if this question has already been answered somewhere and I'm just too incompetent to find it, buuut:
As the title already says, I really do not get that part of quantum physics (if you can even say I'm getting ANY part at all...).
As I searched all Google for an answer I just found out about Schrödinger's equation which uses the De-Broglie wavelength, which is the analogy of the wavelength of light for matter particles. So this means Schrödinger's equation can't be used for photons, can it?
I understand that, first, every quantum particle has a wavefunction and second, the probability of finding a photon at place x is proportional to the lightwave's intensity. But, which would at least seem logical, calling the lightwave the photon's wave function doesn't seem to be correct, according to Google :D
So what am I not getting? Do photons even have a wavefunction determining their probability of presence?
The only kind of promising-looking stuff I found was Maxwell's equations, something about Dirac and some Klein-Gordon equation.
I also tried asking my teacher but we kind of always end up confusing each other...

Any help is very appreciated, thank you :oldbiggrin:

Oh and please excuse any language mistakes, I'm not a native speaker :angel:

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think the nonrelativistic Schrödinger equation is of any use in describing massless particles.

Likes Mathfan7
hilbert2 said:
I don't think the nonrelativistic Schrödinger equation is of any use in describing massless particles.
Very well, that's indeed what I read somewhere, too.

So, is there a wavefunction for photons? I mean, there must be one, is it really enough to describe photons with the Maxwell equations? Does that count as QED?

The time-dependent Schrödinger equation for a free particle wouldn't make any sense for a massless particle, because there's a division by ##m## in the equation.

To describe photons quantum mechanically, you need QED which allows multi-photon states with an uncertain photon number. In the ordinary nonrelativistic theory, you can always tell the number of particles in any system from the number of variables the wave function depends on.

Likes Mathfan7
Well, there's not "a wave function" in relativistic QT in the same sense as there is one in non-relativistic QT. Particularly for photons the idea of a wave function a la Schrödinger is utmost misleading. The reason is very simple: At relativistic energies you can create and destroy particles (at least as long as you don't violate any conservation laws), and this cannot be adequately described by wave functions a la Schrödinger, which by construction describes one or another fixed number of particles.

For photons you need quantum-field theory (QFT), i.e., the formalism of quantized field operators, where a description of such creation and annihilation processes is very natural. Photons are particularly easily created and destroyed, because they are massless (at least to an amazing precision of emprical knowledge) and thus it's not very costly in the sense of energy to create one. It's already enough to accerate a charged particle to make "bremsstrahlung".

This QFT-formalism, however allows you (at least in principle and in an approximate sense of perturbation theory) to calculate anything we have observed today concerning electromagnetic radiation, and that's what photons really describe on the quantum level, and that's pretty similar to what's achieved in Schrödinger theory with the wave function for massive non-relativistic particles.

Likes Mathfan7

1. What is the wavefunction of a photon?

The wavefunction of a photon is a mathematical representation of the probability of finding the photon at a particular location or state. It describes the wave-like nature of a photon and allows us to understand its behavior and interactions with other particles.

2. How do we determine the wavefunction of a photon?

The wavefunction of a photon can be determined through experiments such as the double-slit experiment or the quantum eraser experiment. These experiments involve observing the interference patterns of photons and analyzing their behavior to determine their wavefunction.

3. Can the wavefunction of a photon be measured?

No, the wavefunction of a photon cannot be directly measured. However, its effects can be observed and analyzed through experiments, as mentioned above. The wavefunction itself is a mathematical concept and cannot be physically measured.

4. How does the wavefunction of a photon relate to its energy?

The wavefunction of a photon is directly related to its energy. A higher energy photon will have a shorter wavelength and therefore a more concentrated wavefunction. This means that it will have a higher probability of being found at a particular location compared to a lower energy photon with a longer wavelength.

5. Can the wavefunction of a photon change?

Yes, the wavefunction of a photon can change depending on its interactions with other particles or through the process of measurement. This is known as wavefunction collapse, where the wave-like behavior of the photon is no longer observed and it behaves more like a particle. This change in the wavefunction can also affect its energy and momentum.