How to do local Physics Analysis ?

In summary: There is no way to do physics analysis locally without joining an experiment and putting in a lot of time.
welatiger
How to do local Physics Analysis ??

You Know all the LHC machine at CERN, and the CMS detector (Compact Muon Solenoid)

This detector run a CMSSW ( CMS Software ) on CERN machines, can i download that software on my local machine, run it and do physics analysis? if yes how to download it, and what is it's size??

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org

No you cannot download it - you are not part of the CMS Collaboration. Second, if you were to download it it would do you no good without the data. This data is many petabytes in size.

I think 1-2 older experiments released a part of their source data and analysis software, or plan to do so.
I'm not sure if your local computer can do any interesting analysis - the datasets are smaller than those of current experiments, but they are still large. In addition, it might take some time to get used to the analysis software.

Last edited:

Oh, thank you, I'm really frustrated.
So how to obtain a primary CERN account, Is it necessary to be at CERN office.

Last edited:

You need to join one of the experiments, and you need to put in a certain minimum amount of time - usually a year - doing tasks of general service to the experiment. The experiments have put in literally millions of hours operating, aligning, calibrating, etc. the detectors, and they don't let people say "OK, now that you chumps have done all the hard work, send me the data and I will analyze it." Also, each experiment has a mandated contribution of around 15 kCHF per member per year to the "common fund" to cover consumables like magnetic media for data storage, gas for the detector, etc.

So, there is no way to do physics analysis locally expect by using the individual packages, i use for MonteCarlo generation of data (LanHep -> MadGraph -> Pythia -> Geant4 -> ROOT -> Physics Analysis), and there are some real data for training available at the CMS website.

Is that suitable ?

Last edited:

Let me say this again. You will not have access to real data unless you join an experiment.

1. What is local physics analysis?

Local physics analysis refers to the process of analyzing data from a specific location or region, rather than a global or overall analysis. It involves studying the physical properties and phenomena of a particular area or system.

2. What are the steps involved in performing local physics analysis?

The steps for local physics analysis may vary depending on the specific research or experiment being conducted. However, some general steps include data collection, data processing and manipulation, data analysis using statistical methods and models, and interpretation of results.

3. What tools or software are commonly used for local physics analysis?

There are many tools and software available for local physics analysis, such as MATLAB, python libraries like numpy and scipy, ROOT, and various statistical analysis packages. The choice of tool or software depends on the specific needs and requirements of the analysis.

4. How do I ensure the accuracy and reliability of my local physics analysis results?

To ensure the accuracy and reliability of your local physics analysis results, it is essential to have a well-designed experimental setup, appropriate data collection techniques, and thorough data quality checks. It is also crucial to use appropriate statistical methods and to validate the results through peer review and replication studies.

5. How can local physics analysis contribute to scientific research?

Local physics analysis can provide valuable insights and understanding of specific phenomena or systems, which can contribute to the advancement of scientific research and knowledge. It can also aid in the development of new theories and models, and lead to practical applications and innovations in various fields of science and technology.