How to estimate tangential force through curve?

In summary, the force of the front guide wheel impacting the side of a rail to steer the bogie in a curved pipeline can be calculated using the formula F = mv^2/R, where m is the mass of the capsule, v is its forward velocity, and R is the radius of curvature of the curve. This formula takes into account the centripetal force required to change the direction of the moving capsule.
Aerstz

Homework Statement

A capsule suspended on flat rails enters a curve in a pipeline. It has guide wheels on vertical axles to keep the main wheels on-track. As it enters the bend the front guide wheel impacts the side of a rail to steer the bogie. What is the force of this impact? Essentially, what force is required to change the direction of a moving body by x degrees (Newton basics)?

Homework Equations

Tangential acceleration = dv/dt

Centripetal acceleration = m*v^2/r

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Is the centripetal force the only relevant component? If so I can calculate this. If it is the sum of centripetal and tangential then I am stuck, for I do not know how to estimate the tangential load (I do not know what the change in velocity will be over time). I know the capsule forward velocity, mass, and the radius of curvature (for the curve it is to traverse).

Thanks for any help. I know this is very basic physics, and confess I should know the answer!

Physics news on Phys.org
The force would be equal to the centripetal acceleration*mass. If you are given the radius of curvature, then use the equation for centripetal acceleration*mass.

F = mv^2/R

Thanks. I was resigned to just using the centripetal formula despite reading elsewhere that there are two force components: tangential and centripetal.

1. What is tangential force in physics?

Tangential force is a type of force that is applied at a tangent to the curved path of an object. It is perpendicular to the direction of motion and is responsible for causing circular motion.

2. How is tangential force calculated?

The tangential force can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the square of its tangential velocity and dividing it by the radius of the curved path. This can be represented by the formula F=mv²/r, where F is the tangential force, m is the mass, v is the tangential velocity, and r is the radius.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of tangential force?

The magnitude of tangential force is affected by the mass, tangential velocity, and radius of the curved path. A higher mass or tangential velocity will result in a larger tangential force, while a larger radius will result in a smaller tangential force.

4. How does tangential force affect an object's motion?

Tangential force is responsible for causing circular motion in an object. If the tangential force is greater than the centripetal force (the force that pulls an object towards the center of the curved path), the object will move away from the center and continue in a straight line. If the tangential force is equal to the centripetal force, the object will continue to move in a circular path. If the tangential force is less than the centripetal force, the object will move towards the center of the curved path.

5. How can tangential force be measured or estimated in an experiment?

In an experiment, tangential force can be measured using a force sensor or by calculating it using the formula mentioned earlier. To estimate tangential force, one can use a known tangential velocity and radius and measure the mass of the object to plug into the formula. Alternatively, one can vary the tangential velocity or radius and observe the corresponding changes in tangential force to estimate its magnitude.