How to fill the void left by GEB

• Thread starter kiwi-awoo
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the impact and influence of the book "Godel, Escher, Bach" and the OP is looking for recommendations for similar books. Some suggestions are made, including other books by Douglas Hofstadter and "Infinity and the Mind" by Rudy Rucker. The OP also mentions studying the mathematics in the book, but is looking for something more readable.
kiwi-awoo
Since I read godel escher bach I've been trying to find something that will blow me away in the same way as this book did. By far the most entertaining, enlightening book I've ever read.
Anyone else feel the same way? Can you recommend something comparable?

Physics news on Phys.org
Read it again. Take notes this time. :p

Likes fresh_42
Read a topology book?
It allows for some funny stuff to imagine (go 2n times around to reach the same point, go 2n+1 times around and be somewhere new is an example).

Likes micromass
To the OP:

Have you read any of the other books by Douglas Hofstadter? He's written many other books after GEB. For example,

1. Le Ton beau de Marot: In Praise of the Music of Langauge (1997)
2. I am a Strange Loop (2007)

Book #2 seems especially connected, at least from what I've heard, to GEB.

If you're interested in other authors with similarly eclectic interests, why not consider the book Infinity and the Mind, by Rudy Rucker, which deals with a number of similar themes to GED.

Last edited:
Likes Pepper Mint
Why not actually try to study the mathematics of Gödel and the geometries that appear in Escher?

Likes StatGuy2000
thanks statguy I'll definitely check those out :)
on studying the maths instead, well I've already got a few extracurricular maths books I'm working on so I need something more readable

kiwi-awoo said:
Since I read godel escher bach I've been trying to find something that will blow me away in the same way as this book did. By far the most entertaining, enlightening book I've ever read.
Anyone else feel the same way? Can you recommend something comparable?

I'm still reading it, but the first thing I will do when I'm done is read other critically acclaimed books on consciousness to see how the ideas compare to GEB.
Elizabeth Schechter, Dan Dennet and Peter Godfrey-Smith's books all come to mind.

As far as equivalent books in general:
Pirsig's "Zen and the Art.." and its follow up: "Lila" are the only ones that come to mind. He shows a common thread that links Mathematics, Metaphysics, Philosophy and Perception, as well as Motivation and Education, and in the second book, Ethics and Anthropology.

1. How can I fill the void left by GEB?

There are several ways to fill the void left by GEB:

• Explore other books on similar topics, such as artificial intelligence, mathematics, and philosophy.
  • Engage in discussions with others who have read GEB and share your thoughts and insights.
  • Apply the concepts and theories from GEB in your own research or projects.
  • Read other works by the author, Douglas Hofstadter, to continue exploring his ideas and perspectives.
  • Continuously seek new knowledge and perspectives to expand your understanding of complex systems and intelligence.

2. Can I fill the void left by GEB without a background in mathematics or computer science?

Yes, GEB can be enjoyed and understood by readers from a variety of backgrounds. While some mathematical and computer science knowledge may enhance your understanding of the book, it is not necessary to fully appreciate its themes and ideas.

3. Is there a sequel to GEB?

No, there is no official sequel to GEB. However, Douglas Hofstadter has written other books on related topics, such as "I Am a Strange Loop" and "Metamagical Themas". These books may provide further insights and perspectives on the themes explored in GEB.

4. How can I apply the concepts from GEB in my daily life?

The concepts and theories presented in GEB can be applied in various ways in daily life. For example, the idea of "strange loops" can be used to reflect on one's own sense of self and identity. The concepts of recursion and self-reference can also be applied to problem-solving and decision-making, as well as understanding complex systems and patterns in the world around us.

5. Are there any online resources or communities for further discussion and exploration of GEB?

Yes, there are several online resources and communities dedicated to discussing GEB and related topics. Some examples include the GEB Facebook group, the GEB subreddit, and the GEB wiki. These platforms allow readers to connect with others who share an interest in GEB and engage in ongoing discussions and analyses of the book.