How to find a quadratic function from a table of values?

In summary, the conversation was about finding the equation of a quadratic function in the form of ax^2+bx+c, given a table of values. The person was unsure if this topic belonged in precalculus or not, as it was not covered in their Australian math courses until university level. They mentioned knowing how to use vertex form and changing between vertex and standard form, but were unsure of how to approach the problem. The solution was to substitute the given coordinates into the general form and solve for the coefficients. The conversation ended with a recommendation to provide a clear statement of the problem for better understanding.
Tris Fray Potter
HI! I'm not sure if this can go in precalculus or not because I'm from Australia, and our Maths subjects don't get that specific until university level.
1. Homework Statement

For my assignment on quadratic functions, I have to find the equation (the the form of ax^2+bx+c) for a table of values?

Homework Equations

I know how to use vertex form and change from vertex form to standard form and vice-versa
I have the co-ordinates:
(1,3)
(2,6)
(3,10)
(4,15)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that I need to change it to vertex form, but I don't know how to do that, and I've spent the past couple of days trying to figure it out

Thanks in advance
Tris

Physics news on Phys.org
It has been a while since I've done anything like this, but the way I would go about solving this would be to plug the values of x into each equation to get the coefficients for each constant and then solving that as a system of equations. ex. (2,6) => a(2)^2+b(2)+c=6 => 4a+2b+c=6

I think you need a clear statement of what the problem is and what information you have. Unless you can be specific, you won't be able to solve the probelm. Pretend you are explaining the problem to someone who has not done Aussie maths courses - be as standard as possible.
For my assignment on quadratic functions, I have to find the equation (the the form of ax^2+bx+c) for a table of values?
You stuck a question mark on the end - do you not know?
Please type out the exact problem statement ... do you have a table of values given to you and you have to find which quadratic function best fits it? Or maybe you have to construct a table of values that people can look up to figure out which quadratic form they are dealing with ... ??

I see you have a bunch of coordinates - what are those coordinates of ?
ie. are they coordinates of points that are on the quadratic form?
Since you have a unary quadratic form and pairs of numbers ... you could just substitute the pairs into the general form and get the specific equation.

I think that I need to change it to vertex form, but I don't know how to do that,
... but earlier you said:
I know how to use vertex form and change from vertex form to standard form and vice-versa...
... which seems contradictory.
The result is we cannot know, with any confidence, what you are trying to describe.

Note: I'm in New Zealand.

You could construct a set of linear equations in three unknowns a, b, and c by subbing in each point to get one of the equations and then use linear algebra to reduce it or use some prior method of subbing to reduce a out then b out to get c...

Simon Bridge said:
I think you need a clear statement of what the problem is and what information you have. Unless you can be specific, you won't be able to solve the probelm.
The problem as stated seems pretty clear to me.
Tris Fray Potter said:

Homework Statement

The equation would be y = ax^2 + bx + c.
Tris Fray Potter said:

Homework Equations

I know how to use vertex form and change from vertex form to standard form and vice-versa
I have the co-ordinates:
(1,3)
(2,6)
(3,10)
(4,15)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that I need to change it to vertex form, but I don't know how to do that, and I've spent the past couple of days trying to figure it out
No, you don't need to put the equation in vertex form. Just do as jedishrfu suggests, and substitute the four pairs of x- and y-values into the equation y = ax^2 + bx + c. I've checked, and can verify that all four of the given points lie on the same parabola.

1. How do I know if the table of values represents a quadratic function?

A quadratic function is a polynomial function of the form f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants. To determine if a table of values represents a quadratic function, you can check if the differences between consecutive y-values are constant. If the differences are not constant, the function is not quadratic.

2. What are the steps to find a quadratic function from a table of values?

To find a quadratic function from a table of values, you can follow these steps: 1. Determine if the function is quadratic by checking if the differences between consecutive y-values are constant.2. Write the general form of a quadratic function, f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c.3. Use the given x and y-values to create a system of equations.4. Solve the system of equations for the values of a, b, and c.5. Substitute the values of a, b, and c into the general form to get the specific quadratic function.

3. Can I find a quadratic function if I only have two points?

No, you need at least three points to determine a unique quadratic function. With only two points, there are infinitely many quadratic functions that can pass through them.

4. Can I use a calculator to find a quadratic function from a table of values?

Yes, most graphing calculators have a function to find the quadratic function that best fits a set of data points. However, it's important to understand the steps and reasoning behind finding the function manually in case you encounter a situation where a calculator is not available.

5. How accurate is the quadratic function found from a table of values?

The accuracy of the quadratic function depends on the accuracy of the given data points. If the data points have a small margin of error, the resulting quadratic function will also be accurate. However, if the data points have a large margin of error, the resulting function may not accurately represent the data.