How to find displacement in vector diagram?

In summary, the conversation is about finding displacement in a vector diagram given a set of movements. The total distance traveled is 1096 m, but the displacement is still unknown. The solution involves adding the individual displacement vectors and using the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the total displacement.
karis scherer
how to find displacement in vector diagram?

My homework question states :
"Mr. Hinsley walks north 252 m, east 512 m, south 35.5 m and finally west 256 m. What is the total distance traveled? What is his displacement?"

I got that the total distance = 1096 m
However i am having trouble finding the displacement. i made a vector diagram but don't quite know how to use it to find the displacement.

! combined north and south. i also combined east and west. i came to the conclusion that he ended up at 176.5 m north and 256 m east. i just don't know what to do from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Each leg of the journey is a displacement. Displacement, as you've realized, is a vector.
The sum of all the displacement vectors is the total displacement.
Do you know how to add vectors?

Draw a line from the origin to your point. You should now see a right triangle. Use the pythagorean theorem.

1. How do I determine the displacement in a vector diagram?

To find the displacement in a vector diagram, you need to measure the length and direction of the vector. The length represents the magnitude of the displacement, and the direction represents the direction of the displacement.

2. What is the formula for calculating displacement in a vector diagram?

The formula for calculating displacement in a vector diagram is displacement = final position - initial position. This means you subtract the initial position vector from the final position vector to get the displacement vector.

3. Can displacement be negative in a vector diagram?

Yes, displacement can be negative in a vector diagram. This occurs when the final position is behind the initial position, resulting in a negative displacement vector. However, the length of the displacement vector is always positive.

4. How is displacement different from distance in a vector diagram?

Displacement refers to the straight line distance and direction between the initial and final position in a vector diagram. Distance, on the other hand, refers to the total length traveled, regardless of direction.

5. How do I use a scale to measure displacement in a vector diagram?

To use a scale to measure displacement in a vector diagram, you need to first determine the scale factor. This is the ratio between the actual distance and the distance on the diagram. Then, measure the length of the displacement vector on the diagram and multiply it by the scale factor to get the actual displacement.