How to find inverse steradian from arcmin^-2 for density of galaxy

In summary, the original code for the EUCLID future mission has a density of galaxies set to 354543085.80106884 sr^-1, which is equivalent to 30 arcmin^-2. The conversion between 30 arcmin^-2 and 354543085.80106884 sr^-1 is correct, as confirmed by the calculation of 11.82E6 arcminutes^2 being equal to 354543085.8010688 sr^-1. To calculate the density of galaxies with a value of 48 arcmin^-2, the conversion factor of 11.82E6 arcminutes^2 can be
fab13
TL;DR Summary
I would like to calculate the relation between inverse steradian and arcmin^-2 for density of galaxy with a telescop.
Hello,

I am using a code on EUCLID future mission. The original author of this code has set a value for the density of galaxy equal to :
ng = 354543085.80106884

I think this is expressed in inverse steradian. I think that EUCLID mission has a 30 arcmin^-2 value for density of galaxies.

Is the conversion correct betweeen 30 arcmin^-2 and 354543085.8010688 sr^-1 ?

and how to do this conversion ?

Indeed, I would like to calculate ng with a density of 48 arcmin^-2

Regards

Astronomy news on Phys.org
A steradian is [itex] (\frac{180}{\pi})^2[/itex] square degrees, and a square degree is 60x60 = 3600 arcminutes^2. So a steradian is 11.82E6 arcminutes^2

thanks !
phyzguy said:
11.82E6

1. How do I calculate inverse steradian from arcmin^-2?

To calculate inverse steradian from arcmin^-2, you will need to use the formula: 1 steradian = (60 arcmin)^2. This means that to convert from arcmin^-2 to inverse steradian, you will need to divide the value of arcmin^-2 by (60 arcmin)^2.

2. What is the significance of finding the inverse steradian from arcmin^-2?

The inverse steradian is a unit used to measure solid angles, which are important in many fields of science, including astronomy. By finding the inverse steradian from arcmin^-2, you can determine the density of galaxies in a given area of the sky.

3. Can I use any other units besides arcmin^-2 to calculate the inverse steradian?

Yes, you can use other units such as arcsec^-2 or degrees^-2 to calculate the inverse steradian. However, you will need to convert these units to arcmin^-2 before using the formula mentioned in the first question.

4. How does the density of galaxies relate to the inverse steradian?

The density of galaxies is directly proportional to the inverse steradian. This means that as the inverse steradian increases, the density of galaxies also increases. In other words, the higher the value of inverse steradian, the more galaxies there are in a given area of the sky.

5. Are there any online calculators or tools available to help me find the inverse steradian from arcmin^-2?

Yes, there are many online calculators and tools that can help you convert between different units and calculate the inverse steradian from arcmin^-2. Simply search for "inverse steradian calculator" or "arcmin^-2 to inverse steradian converter" to find these resources.