How to find symmetric equations for the line of intersection of two planes?

In summary: I solved it, the line of intersection of the two planes is given by the following equations:In summary, The problem is asking for symmetric equations of lines in the form of $\frac{x-x_0}{a} = \frac{y - y_0}{b} = \frac{z - z_0}{c}$. The given equation is $\frac{z - z_0}{c} \rightarrow \frac{z}{10}$. The individual has tried multiple strategies, such as using the cross product and setting y equal to 0, but has encountered an incorrect result. However, they have ultimately solved the problem and obtained the correct equations for the line of intersection, which are not provided. They also mention
jcook735
Hi, I have been at this single problem for two hours with nothing to show for it.

Find symmetric equations for the line of intersection of the planes.
z = 3x - y - 7
z = 4x + 2y - 6

They also give me one of the symmetric equations, z/10.

I have over 3 pages of work for this. I tried moving the z over and using the cross product, and then setting y equal to 0 to find x and y and then using that to find a point on the line of intersection. I then get an equation for a line, but its wrong. I don't know what else to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
nevermind i solved it

This is asking for symmetric equations of lines, that is to say, of the form:

[tex]\frac{x-x_0}{a} = \frac{y - y_0}{b} = \frac{z - z_0}{c}[/tex]

right? Are you doing this? They tell you one of the forms:

[tex]\frac{z - z_0}{c} \rightarrow \frac{z}{10}[/tex]

When you say that you find an equation of a line that is "wrong" does that mean you have checked it out and it is not agreeing with something, or do you have the final answer? If you are not making steps towards obtaining a form such as that listed above, your result may appear wrong because you are comparing different forms of a final result.

Taking cross products does not make sense in the regard of scalar equations, there are no vectors here unless you construct them. Please advise.

Edit: ok

Related to How to find symmetric equations for the line of intersection of two planes?

1. What are symmetric equations for the line of intersection of two planes?

Symmetric equations for the line of intersection of two planes are a set of equations that describe the coordinates of points on the line that is formed by the intersection of the two planes. These equations involve parameters, which can be varied to generate different points on the line.

2. How do I find the line of intersection of two planes?

To find the line of intersection of two planes, you can use the method of elimination by solving a system of linear equations. This involves finding the equations of the two planes and then setting them equal to each other to solve for the variables. The resulting equations will be the symmetric equations for the line of intersection.

3. Can I find the line of intersection if the two planes are parallel?

No, if the two planes are parallel, they will never intersect and therefore there is no line of intersection. In this case, the symmetric equations for the line of intersection cannot be determined.

4. What is the significance of the parameters in the symmetric equations?

The parameters in the symmetric equations represent the coordinates of points on the line of intersection. By varying these parameters, you can find different points on the line and visualize the entire line in 3-dimensional space.

5. Is there a shortcut to finding the symmetric equations for the line of intersection?

Yes, there is a shortcut known as the cross product method. This method involves taking the cross product of the normal vectors of the two planes to find the direction vector of the line. Then, by using a point that lies on both planes, you can easily write the symmetric equations for the line of intersection.