Finding the Line of Intersection for Two Cylinders

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the line of intersection of two cylinders (x^2+y^=1 and x^2+z^2=1) to find the curve for a line integral. The attempt at a solution involves parameterizing the curve with dummy variable t and disregarding the x value, which leads to the incorrect result of y^2 = z^2. The expert advises considering the original equations and using a parameterization similar to that of a straight line in three dimensions.
OpheliaM

Homework Statement

I am looking for the line of intersection of two cylinders (x^2+y^=1 and x^2+z^2=1) to find the curve for a line integral. However, I am getting z=y, which is a patently false answer. Mathematically, it seems to work out though.

Homework Equations

x^2+y^=1
x^2+z^2=1

The Attempt at a Solution

image_123923953.JPG
[/B]

Attachments

• image_123923953.JPG
    image_123923953.JPG
    16.2 KB · Views: 684
Physics news on Phys.org
I have not previously worked such a problem, but suggestion is let ##x=t ##. Then ##y=\sqrt{1-t^2} ## and ## z=\sqrt{1-t^2} ##, (omitting ## \pm 's##) will parameterize the curve.

Last edited:
OpheliaM said:

Homework Statement

I am looking for the line of intersection of two cylinders (x^2+y^=1 and x^2+z^2=1) to find the curve for a line integral. However, I am getting z=y, which is a patently false answer. Mathematically, it seems to work out though.

Homework Equations

x^2+y^=1
x^2+z^2=1

The Attempt at a Solution

[ ATTACH=full]216873[/ATTACH] [/B]
Hello @OpheliaM . Welcome to Physics Forums !

Actually you get y2 = z2, which is somewhat different than y = z .

@SammyS Could you explain further?

SammyS said:
Hello @OpheliaM . Welcome to Physics Forums !

Actually you get y2 = z2, which is somewhat different than y = z .
There is a constraint on what ## x ## is doing that you are disregarding in simply saying that ## y^2=z^2 ##.

OpheliaM said:
@SammyS Could you explain further?
Graph the following function, or tabulate some values.

## f(x)=\sqrt{x^2\,} ##

Specifically, I am looking for the “boundary of the region common to the cylinders x^2+y^2<1 and x^2+z^2<1 in the first octant”. Can you explain the restriction further?

OpheliaM said:
Specifically, I am looking for the “boundary of the region common to the cylinders x^2+y^2<1 and x^2+z^2<1 in the first octant”. Can you explain the restriction further?
Please use the "Reply" link, so we know who you and what you addressing.

The boundary region is a curved line in space. Something like ## y^2=z^2 ## gives you basically a couple of planes in three dimensions.

Generally, curved lines in 3 dimensions are described by ## x=f(t) ##, ## y=g(t) ##, and ## z=h(t) ##. They are parameterized with the dummy variable ## t ##.

Charles Link said:
The boundary region is a curved line in space. Something like ## y^2=z^2 ## gives you basically a couple of planes in three dimensions.
That makes sense. What is the specific restrixrion I ignored with y=z?

OpheliaM said:
That makes sense. What is the specific restrixrion I ignored with y=z?
You are ignoring the original equations that contain ## x ##. See my post 2 again.

Charles Link said:
The original equations that contain ## x ##. See my post 2 again.
Thank you for your help. However, I am having trouble understanding specificiallg why am I unable to equate those two equationsin your post. Why can i not disregard x? Does it have to do with the +- signs? If so, specifically where were they disregarded?

OpheliaM said:
Thank you for your help. However, I am having trouble understanding specificiallg why am I unable to equate those two equationsin your post. Why can i not disregard x? Does it have to do with the +- signs? If so, specifically where were they disregarded?
It is correct that ## y= \pm z ## along the curve. In getting this result though, you can't throw away both of the original equations. This is kind of a peculiar system of equations, and I don't have a really good answer for why what you did doesn't work, but it just doesn't...

To look at something that is somewhat related to the type of result you need for this problem, examine what a straight line looks like in 3 dimensions: You will typically see something like ##\frac{x-5}{3}=\frac{y-2}{5}=\frac{z-6}{4}=t ## and this line passes through ## (5,2,6 ) ## and it is in the direction of the vector ## \vec{v}=3 \hat{i}+5 \hat{j}+ 4 \hat{k} ##. You can even normalize this vector ## \hat{v} ## to a unit vector in that direction. ## \\ ## Basically the equation of this line is the parameterization ## x=3t+5 ##, ## y=5t+2 ##, and ## z=4t+6 ##. It might appear clumsy, but we can't do a simple line in 3 dimensions like we do a line in two dimensions. e.g. the equation ## 3x+5y +2z+4=0 ## represents a plane, rather than a line.

Charles Link said:
To look at something that is somewhat related to the type of result you need for this problem, examine what a straight line looks like in 3 dimensions: You will typically see something like ##\frac{x-5}{3}=\frac{y-2}{5}=\frac{z-6}{4}=t ## and this line passes through ## (5,2,6 ) ## and it is in the direction of the vector ## \vec{v}=3 \hat{i}+5 \hat{j}+ 4 \hat{k} ##. You can even normalize this vector ## \hat{v} ## to a unit vector in that direction. ## \\ ## Basically the equation of this line is the parameterization ## x=3t+5 ##, ## y=5t+2 ##, and ## z=4t+6 ##. It might appear clumsy, but we can't do a simple line in 3 dimensions like we do a line in two dimensions. e.g. the equation ## 3x+5y +2z+4=0 ## represents a plane, rather than a line.
Thanks!

Likes Charles Link
@OpheliaM: Your original result that ##z=y## (in the first octant) is correct and tells you that the required curve lies in that plane. Here are a couple of hints:
1. Do you know how to parameterize the ##xy## cylinder in terms of ##\theta## and ##z##, where ##\theta## is the polar angle? If so, then do that and
2. Use the fact that ##z = y##.
That should give you a parameterization in the form ##\vec R(\theta) = \langle x(\theta),y(\theta),z(\theta) \rangle
##, which is the parametric form of a curve.

Likes Charles Link

What is the intersection of two cylinders?

The intersection of two cylinders is the set of points where the two cylinders meet or overlap each other. This can be visualized as the common area between the two cylinders.

How do you find the intersection of two cylinders?

To find the intersection of two cylinders, you can set up and solve equations for each cylinder's surface. These equations will represent the circles that make up the base of each cylinder. Then, you can solve the system of equations to find the points where the two circles intersect, which will be the intersection of the two cylinders.

Can the intersection of two cylinders be a single point?

Yes, the intersection of two cylinders can be a single point. This can happen if the two cylinders have the same dimensions and are perfectly aligned, resulting in a point where their circles overlap.

Can the intersection of two cylinders be a curve?

Yes, the intersection of two cylinders can be a curve. This can happen if the two cylinders have different dimensions or are not perfectly aligned, resulting in a curved shape where their circles overlap.

What are some real-world applications of the intersection of two cylinders?

The intersection of two cylinders is commonly used in engineering and architecture, such as in designing pipes and tunnels. It can also be seen in everyday objects, such as soda cans or water bottles, which have a cylindrical shape. Additionally, the intersection of two cylinders is important in mathematics and geometry, as it helps to understand 3D shapes and their properties.