How to get the integral result?

In summary, the student is having trouble solving an integral and is seeking help from online resources.
Tspirit

Homework Statement

I am studying Gerry's <Introductory Quantum Optics>, in which there is an integral (Eq. 4.37)
$$\intop_{-infinity}^{+infinity}\frac{[sin(\triangle t/2)]^{2}}{\triangle^{2}}d\triangle=\frac{\pi}{2}t.$$
I don't know how to get the result of the right side.

Homework Equations

I have no idea.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried like the following
$$\intop_{-infinity}^{+infinity}\frac{[sin(\triangle t/2)]^{2}}{\triangle^{2}}d\triangle=\intop_{-infinity}^{+infinity}\frac{1-cos(\triangle t)}{2\triangle^{2}}d\triangle$$
But don't know what to do next.

Physics news on Phys.org
Matter of googling "integral sin^2x/x^2" to see our math colleagues have a thread on this one...

But for more specific questions PF is of course available with a :smile:

Tspirit said:

Homework Statement

I am studying Gerry's <Introductory Quantum Optics>, in which there is an integral (Eq. 4.37)
$$\intop_{-infinity}^{+infinity}\frac{[sin(\triangle t/2)]^{2}}{\triangle^{2}}d\triangle=\frac{\pi}{2}t.$$
I don't know how to get the result of the right side.

Homework Equations

I have no idea.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried like the following
$$\intop_{-infinity}^{+infinity}\frac{[sin(\triangle t/2)]^{2}}{\triangle^{2}}d\triangle=\intop_{-infinity}^{+infinity}\frac{1-cos(\triangle t)}{2\triangle^{2}}d\triangle$$
But don't know what to do next.
In questions of this type you should always try to simplify first, before doing anything else. So if we use the notation ##w## instead of your ##\Delta## and ##a## instead of your ##t/2##, we have an integral of the form
$$I(a) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\sin^2(a w)}{w^2} \, dw.$$
Change variables to ##u = a w## to get ##I(a) = a K##, where
$$K= \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\sin^2 u}{u^2} \, du.$$
Now ##K## is just some constant; it happens to equal ##\pi##, but that is another issue.

I think there is a simple solution. Take:

[tex]
I(a)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{\sin^{2}ax}{x^{2}}dx
[/tex]

Now differentiate w.r.t. [itex]a[/itex] to find that:

[tex]
I'(a)=2\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{\sin 2ax}{2x}dx
[/tex]

Now the integral on the RHS can be calculated using residue calculus. It's result will be a function of [itex]a[/itex], the result is found out via integration.

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that is used to find the area under a curve in a graph. It is also known as the anti-derivative, as it is the inverse operation of differentiation.

2. How do you solve an integral?

To solve an integral, you can use various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, trigonometric substitution, or partial fractions. It is important to identify the type of integral you have and then use the appropriate technique to solve it.

3. What is the difference between a definite and indefinite integral?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, while an indefinite integral does not. This means that a definite integral will give a specific numerical result, while an indefinite integral will give a general formula that includes a constant of integration.

4. How do you know when to use a definite or indefinite integral?

You use a definite integral when you need to find the area under a specific portion of a curve. It is commonly used in applications such as finding the distance traveled or work done. An indefinite integral is used when you need to find the general formula for the anti-derivative of a function.

5. What are some real-world applications of integrals?

Integrals are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics to solve real-world problems. Some common applications include finding the volume of a solid, calculating the center of mass, and determining the average value of a function.