How to Integrate to find velocity as a function of time

In summary: Your method is interesting but incorrect. You have integrated both sides of the equation with respect to different variables. From what you have written, I cannot even guess how you managed to get the wrong answer.There is a general rule for solving differential equations. If you are given an equation that relates two variables, like v and t, and you differentiate both sides, you get a new equation that relates the derivatives of the two variables, like dv/dt and dt/dt. If you can rearrange this new equation to get an expression that relates the two derivatives, you can then integrate both sides to eliminate the derivatives and get an equation that relates the original two variables. This is what the OP's solution does.In your solution, you have taken
Sho Kano

Homework Statement

dv/dt = -βv
Integrate to find velocity as a function of time, assume the particle's initial velocity is v0.
β is constant
v = velocity (not constant)
t = time

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

dv = -βvdt
∫dv = -β∫vdt --------> limits of integration for the right side are from 0 to t
v(t) = -βt + v0
I know I'm probably supposed to separate the variables so that v is with dv and β is with t, but this way seems to work too. Both ways seems correct, but there can only be one right answer... which one is it? Why does my attempt work out mathematically but is still wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Using the supposedly correct separation of variables I get:
v(t) = e ^ (ln(v0) - βt)
Is this okay?

Sho Kano said:
Using the supposedly correct separation of variables I get:
v(t) = e ^ (ln(v0) - βt)
Is this okay?
Why don't you show your work to obtain this solution.

SteamKing said:
Why don't you show your work to obtain this solution.
dv/dt = -βv

dv/v = -βdt
∫dv/v = -β∫dt-----> left integral from v0 to v, right integral from 0 to t
ln(v) from v0 to v = -βt
ln(v) - ln(v0) = -βt
ln(v) = ln(v0) - βt
v(t) = e ^ (ln(v0) - βt)----------> "e" both sides

The better way to do it is to use the ln(A)-ln(B)=ln(A/B) rule, so in the step where you have ln(v)-ln(v0), make it ln(v/v0). Then you can raise both sides to e and then get the following:

e^(ln(v/v0))= e^(-βt)

v/v0 = e^-βt

v(t)=(v0) e^-βt

This is a much easier form to have it in, and it really helps to visually model the relationship between v and time. I hope this helps=)

Quantum2323 said:
The better way to do it is to use the ln(A)-ln(B)=ln(A/B) rule, so in the step where you have ln(v)-ln(v0), make it ln(v/v0). Then you can raise both sides to e and then get the following:

e^(ln(v/v0))= e^(-βt)

v/v0 = e^-βt

v(t)=(v0) e^-βt

This is a much easier form to have it in, and it really helps to visually model the relationship between v and time. I hope this helps=)
Thanks, it looks a lot like one of those exponential growth/decay relationships - which says a lot about how the object behaves. Do you have any thoughts on my original attempt at the solution though? The math works out, but it ends up being the wrong answer. Here's what I did:
dv = -βvdt
v(t) = -βt + v0

Sho Kano said:
Thanks, it looks a lot like one of those exponential growth/decay relationships - which says a lot about how the object behaves. Do you have any thoughts on my original attempt at the solution though? The math works out, but it ends up being the wrong answer. Here's what I did:
dv = -βvdt
v(t) = -βt + v0

In any differential equation, you have to separate the variables, and putting v on the side of dt instead of with the dv shouldn't come up with the right answer. Besides, if you do the integration out, it would actually be:
-β∫vdt from 0 to t---> -β(vt). Adding the right side, you get--> -βvt + v0.
So that method would not get you the answer of -βt + v0 anyways. Is -βt + v0 the right answer? I hope this helps=)

Sho Kano said:
Do you have any thoughts on my original attempt at the solution though? The math works out, but it ends up being the wrong answer. Here's what I did:
dv = -βvdt
∫dv = -β∫vdt

The reason you can't do the problem this way is that since ##v(t)## is unknown, you can't calculate ##\int v(t)~dt##

Quantum2323 said:
Besides, if you do the integration out, it would actually be:
-β∫vdt from 0 to t---> -β(vt). Adding the right side, you get--> -βvt + v0.
This isn't correct either. As the OP noted, you shouldn't get inconsistent answers, and your result clearly isn't the same as the exponential solution.

Sho Kano said:

Homework Statement

dv/dt = -βv
Integrate to find velocity as a function of time, assume the particle's initial velocity is v0.
β is constant
v = velocity (not constant)
t = time

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

dv = -βvdt
v(t) = -βt + v0
I know I'm probably supposed to separate the variables so that v is with dv and β is with t, but this way seems to work too. Both ways seems correct, but there can only be one right answer... which one is it? Why does my attempt work out mathematically but is still wrong?

Your attempt replaces a differential equation by an integral equation; it still does not solve the problem. Written out properly (with all integration limits included), your method yields
[tex] v(t) - v_0 = - \beta \int_0^t v(\tau) \, d\tau [/tex]
You cannot easily figure out ##\{v(t)\}## from this!

I'm thinking v(t) as a velocity function, and you're integrating that over dt, so

∫dv = -β∫vdt right side from 0 ---> t
v - v0 = -β∫(dx/dt)dt right side from 0 ---> t
v - v0 = -β∫dx right side from 0 ---> t
v(t) = -βt + v0 ?

Sho Kano said:
I'm thinking v(t) as a velocity function, and you're integrating that over dt, so

∫dv = -β∫vdt right side from 0 ---> t
v - v0 = -β∫(dx/dt)dt right side from 0 ---> t
v - v0 = -β∫dx right side from 0 ---> t

If you integrate by substitution, you have to change the limits. Setting [itex]v = dx/dt[/itex] means that [tex]
\int_0^t v\,dt = \int_{x(0)}^{x(t)} \,dx.[/tex] You end up with [tex]
v(t) - v_0 = - \beta(x(t) - x(0))[/tex] which of course doesn't help because you don't know what [itex]x(t)[/itex] is.

pasmith said:
If you integrate by substitution, you have to change the limits. Setting [itex]v = dx/dt[/itex] means that [tex]
\int_0^t v\,dt = \int_{x(0)}^{x(t)} \,dx.[/tex] You end up with [tex]
v(t) - v_0 = - \beta(x(t) - x(0))[/tex] which of course doesn't help because you don't know what [itex]x(t)[/itex] is.
Oh I see, integrating the velocity function over time gives us the position function - which in this case doesn't matter.

On a separate note,
v(t)−v0=−β(x(t)−x(0))
is also equal
Δv = -βΔx
right?

Quantum2323 said:
Sho Kano said:

ln(v) - ln(v0) = -βt
ln(v) = ln(v0) - βt
v(t) = e ^ (ln(v0) - βt)----------> "e" both sides

e^(ln(v/v0))= e^(-βt)

v/v0 = e^-βt

v(t)=(v0) e^-βt

Yes, OP can use ln(v) - ln(v0) = ln(v/v0) as you suggested.

However, it's possible to simply take OP's result and use rules of exponents.

##\ v(t) = e^{\,\ln(v_0) - \beta t}\ ##
##=e^{\,\ln(v_0)}\cdot e^{-\beta t}\ ##
##=v_0\cdot e^{-\beta t}\ ##​

Related to How to Integrate to find velocity as a function of time

1. How do I integrate to find velocity as a function of time?

To integrate and find velocity as a function of time, you will need to have knowledge of calculus and understand the concept of derivatives and integrals. Start by setting up an integral with the velocity function as the integrand and time as the variable of integration. Then, evaluate the integral using the appropriate integration techniques and constants to determine the velocity function as a function of time.

2. What is the difference between integration and differentiation?

Integration and differentiation are both mathematical operations that involve finding the relationship between a function and its variables. Differentiation is the process of finding the derivative of a function, which represents the rate of change of that function. Integration, on the other hand, is the reverse process of differentiation and involves finding the original function from its derivative. In the context of velocity as a function of time, integration allows us to find the original position or velocity function from its derivative, which represents the instantaneous velocity.

3. Can I use integration to find velocity as a function of position?

Yes, integration can also be used to find velocity as a function of position. This is known as the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that the integral of a derivative is equal to the original function. In this case, the derivative represents the velocity, and the integral will give us the position function. However, it is important to note that this method only works if the initial velocity is known.

4. What are the different types of integration techniques?

There are several integration techniques that can be used to solve for velocity as a function of time. These include basic integration, substitution, integration by parts, trigonometric substitution, and partial fractions. The specific technique used will depend on the complexity of the velocity function and its variables.

5. How can I check my answer when integrating to find velocity as a function of time?

To check your answer when integrating to find velocity as a function of time, you can differentiate the resulting function and see if it matches the original velocity function. If the derivative is equivalent, then your integration was done correctly. Additionally, you can also graph the velocity function and its integral to visually compare the two and ensure they are equivalent.