How to interpret parametric equations

In summary: Since t starts at 0 and ends at ##\pi/2##, the points on the curve will go from 0 to 1, then from 1 to 2, then from 2 to 3, and so on.The starting point is at 0, and the ending point is at ##\pi/2##.
TheKracken

Homework Statement

Eliminate the parameter to find a description of the following circles or circular arc's in terms of x and y
and find the center and radius and indicate the positive orientation

x=cos(t) , y = 3sin(t) ; 0< t < pi/2 (should be less than or equal to)

Homework Equations

Not sure?

The Attempt at a Solution

When I find t = arccos(x) I then plug it in y=3 sin(t) and I result in
y= sqrt(9-x^2)

The book doesn't even give an answer for the equation part but it does tell me the origin, and radius and the
orientation but I figured you could rewrite my equation to y^2 + x^2 = 9 and that tell me the radius of 3 (sqrt (9) right?) then the orgin is 0,0 because nothing it being done to the x and y

but here is what trips me up, how do they know it is the lower half of a circle going counter clockwise? I mean it has to do something with the t's but I just don't see it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
TheKracken said:

Homework Statement

Eliminate the parameter to find a description of the following circles or circular arc's in terms of x and y
and find the center and radius and indicate the positive orientation

x=cos(t) , y = 3sin(t) ; 0< t < pi/2 (should be less than or equal to)

Homework Equations

Not sure?

The Attempt at a Solution

When I find t = arccos(x) I then plug it in y=3 sin(t) and I result in
y= sqrt(9-x^2)

The book doesn't even give an answer for the equation part but it does tell me the origin, and radius and the
orientation but I figured you could rewrite my equation to y^2 + x^2 = 9
No. y2 + x2 = (3 sin(t))2 + (cos(t))2 = 9sin2(t) + cos2(t). Are you sure you wrote the problem correctly?
TheKracken said:
and that tell me the radius of 3 (sqrt (9) right?) then the orgin is 0,0 because nothing it being done to the x and y

but here is what trips me up, how do they know it is the lower half of a circle going counter clockwise? I mean it has to do something with the t's but I just don't see it.
Based on what you wrote in the problem description, your curve is not a circle.

I solved for t and pluged it in for x. Yes I am positive I wrote it down correctly.

I should probably mention this is a parametric equation? I am sure you are correct, I may have gotten the right answer by doing something incorrectly by coincidence. Not the first time I've done that :P

TheKracken said:
I solved for t and pluged it in for x. Yes I am positive I wrote it down correctly.
Please show what you did to get ##y = \sqrt{9 - x^2}##. Your mistake is in that work.

The parametric equations x = cos(t), y = 3sin(t) do NOT represent a circle.

To find the orientation, put t = 0 and t = pi/2 (or put more points if you'd like), and see which way you're going.

I want to apologize, I did type the equation incorrectly, it is 3cos(t). I was looking at the next problem it looks like when I typed it out, but my work was for this problem.

In that case is my work correct?

Instead of solving for t in one of the parametric equations, I would eliminate the parameter directly. Since (now) x = 3cos(t) and y = 3sin(t), x2 + y2 = ?

Keep in mind that ##0 \leq t \leq \pi/2##. As t increases from 0, what do the points on the curve do? What is the starting point (i.e., when t = 0)? What is the ending point (when t = ##\pi/2##)?

1. What are parametric equations?

Parametric equations are a set of equations that describe the relationship between two or more variables using a third variable, known as a parameter. They are often used in mathematics and physics to represent curves and surfaces.

2. How do you interpret parametric equations?

To interpret parametric equations, you need to understand how the parameter affects the values of the variables. This can be done by analyzing the equations and graphing them to see how they change with different values of the parameter.

3. What are the advantages of using parametric equations?

Parametric equations allow for the representation of complex curves and surfaces that cannot be easily described by traditional equations. They also make it easier to analyze the relationship between variables and can provide more precise solutions to problems.

4. How do you graph parametric equations?

To graph parametric equations, plot points by substituting different values of the parameter into the equations and then connecting the points. This will create a curve or surface that represents the parametric equations.

5. Can parametric equations be converted into traditional equations?

Yes, parametric equations can often be converted into traditional equations by eliminating the parameter. However, this may result in more complex equations and may not always be possible depending on the form of the parametric equations.