How to learn the basics/building guitar effects

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on how to learn the basics of electrical engineering in order to build guitar stomp boxes. They express interest in copying existing designs but also wanting to understand the concepts behind them. They are advised to learn about transistors and op-amps and to not believe in popular myths and superstitions in the field. A book recommendation, "Electronic Basics" by Marvino, is also provided.
bdog
Hey everyone! How can i learn the basics of electrical engineering? Specifically, I'm interested in building guitar stomp boxes. I've looked at them and random schematics and it can't be THAT hard, at least to copy existing designs. And, although, I really want to get started and get that first project fired up, I also want to LEARN what's going on. Any suggestions on websites where i can learn the basics? Books? Any other tips are more than welcome. Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
You have to learn the basics of transistors and op-amps. Yes, people are copying each other and change a few values.

I am currently designing guitar electronics, I notice most of the people are just tinkerers. They end up having a lot of almost black magic or superstition stuffs. Like using carbon resistors, 4558 op-amp, certain caps, CTS pots. My opinion is those are all nonsense.

Take the time to learn the basic electronics, you really need that. Learn to distinguish between facts and myths.

One book I can suggest is the Electronic Basics by Marvino.

https://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Principles-Albert-Malvino/dp/0028028333/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338327378&sr=8-1

Get it used really cheap.

Related to How to learn the basics/building guitar effects

1. What are the basic components needed to build a guitar effect?

To build a guitar effect, you will need a power source, an input jack, an output jack, a circuit board, resistors, capacitors, transistors, and various other electronic components. You will also need basic tools such as a soldering iron, wire cutters, and a multimeter.

2. How do I choose the right components for my guitar effect?

Choosing the right components for your guitar effect will depend on the type of effect you want to create. For example, if you want to build a distortion pedal, you will need certain types of transistors and diodes. You can consult online resources or books for guidance on selecting the right components for your specific project.

3. Do I need to have knowledge of electronics to build guitar effects?

While having a basic understanding of electronics can be helpful, it is not necessary to have extensive knowledge to build guitar effects. There are many beginner-friendly resources available, such as tutorials and circuit diagrams, that can guide you through the process step by step.

4. Can I modify existing guitar effects or do I have to build them from scratch?

You can do both. Many guitar effects kits and circuits are available for purchase, which you can modify to your liking. You can also build effects from scratch by following circuit diagrams or experimenting with different components and configurations.

5. How can I test and troubleshoot my guitar effect?

A multimeter is a useful tool for testing and troubleshooting guitar effects. It can help you identify any faulty components or connections. You can also consult online forums or seek help from experienced builders if you encounter any issues.